Skip navigation
TonyBrown4444
Currently Being Moderated

how to achieve a roundtrip with Photoshop

Jul 5, 2011 12:17 AM

Is there a method to re-import a PS file in Captivate? The problem with existing roundtrip with PS is that it is limited to layers that exist in PS during import. So after importing PS file (either as Flattened Image or as Multi Layer) and making some adjustments to the original file, the adjustments are not reflected in Captivate after Updating from Source. I guess that re-importing the file would do the job, but there seems no way of doing it. This makes the "roundtrip" very limited. Sure I can delete the file from Captivate and import once again, but then all effects and time settings are lost and needs to be re-applied.

[Edit] It seems that using Layer Comps *does* allow to make adjustments in PS and have them reflected in Captivate. So far it works for me, fingers crossed, hopefully it won't break sometime after making more adjustments. But still, importing without Layer Comps (only using Last State) is not working as expected.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2011 12:20 AM   in reply to TonyBrown4444

Hi Tony,

Now I'm a bit puzzled, because just this weekend I did a lot of roundtripping with Photoshop, in eLearning Suite 2.5. I used 'edit source file' from within Captivate and got the extra layers I added in PS.

What was your exact work flow? Or perhaps you are not using the eLearning Suite, because or the full functionality of the roundtripping you need the suite.

Lilybiri

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 12:18 AM   in reply to TonyBrown4444

Hello,

An adjustment layer is not a 'normal' layer, I'm a big fan of adjustment layers, but those are not 'imageable' (I do not know if this is the correct word). Captivate is working with images (PNG), when you import a PSD-file with layers each layer will be converted to a PNG-image, and eventually the adjustment layer if you apply it will have its effect on the layer(s) to which you applied it.

While I was sleeping, you did discover already things I wanted to explain, but was almost midnight when I read your post yesterday and felt too tired to answer.

Mostly I will import the source file to the Library, almost never as flattened image, but importing the layers I want to use. If I'm using adjustment layers, in Photoshop I will create a merged layer from the layer(s) I want to have 'adjusted' and import that one, leaving the original layer with the adjustment layer in the original file for eventually later changes. Same for comps, I find it easier to to the editing work in PS and end up with normal layers to import to CP, that will be converted to PNG images.

If I have used a layer a lot of times in the project, and I want to change that image everywhere without having to resize them...., I will not use Edit Source file, but edit the image itself. Be sure when adding adjustment layers to merge them all before saving and when returning to CP not only the image in the Library will be updated but all the images in the project.

Like you, I would love to have an easy work flow to SWAP images all at once, to replace the image created on one layer in a PS-file by another layer (as an example) without having to restart the editing process. Little bit like the swap-functionality in Flash. But up till now I couldn't find it this is possible. I will re-introduce a feature request for this swapping functionality. Please, if you have time, could you do likewise?

Lilybiri

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 7:09 AM   in reply to TonyBrown4444

Hello,

Perhaps I'm not well explaining. Your problem is linked with adjustment layers, that will not appear in Captivate as layers (because each layer is converted to a PNG). That is the reason I suggested not to merge all layers but the layer with the adjustment layer that it needs to have.

Roundtripping with PSD works without any problem if you are changing normal layers. Just an example: for buttons I'm often working with PS-layers when I need to do localisation: I keep the Text separate form the layers with shapes. When I want to change a button I use Edit Source, and am able to change the color and the shape itself as well as the text... All will be changed when returning to CP.

As I told you I'm also using adjustment layers all the time, and moreover like to have all in one file, that is why I'm using the merging option instead of saving for Web&Devices that will create a separate file, with no link to the original PSD. Hope this is now a bit more explicit. You have to know the possibilities and limitations of all techniques.

Lilybiri

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points