Skip navigation
nsbullock
Currently Being Moderated

Installer asks to close the Flash Player Settings Manager? (which is not open)

Jul 5, 2011 6:33 PM

I have recently upgraded to Firefox 5 from Firefox 3, on a Windows XP system.This also required an upgrade to the flash player, which I tried to install and received this error message:

The installer needs your attention.

The Flash Player Settings Manager is currently open. Please close the Flash Player Settings Manager and try again.

This message appears even though the settings manager is not open. I have uninstalled the flash player and reinstalled, rebooted, etc.

Nothing seems to make a difference.

Any suggestions? Is anyone else having a similar problem with Firefox 5?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2011 6:43 PM   in reply to nsbullock

What files do you currently have in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash ?

Have you tried using the Flash Player uninstaller from http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html ?  (Make sure to reboot after running the uninstaller.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 3:26 AM   in reply to nsbullock

reboot system and try again

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 8:20 AM   in reply to Henry Mitchel

The flash directory under system32 only has a log file.

I have rebooted the system, and that doesn't work.  Problem still comes up.

Background: youtube spontaneously combusted yesterday.  I tried removing and reinstalling flash without success.  Then firefox locked up going to the youtube home page.  So I removed the old firefox, and installed FF5 instead.  I disabled all plugins and extensions.  I removed and installed Flash, and tried the 64 bit beta (maybe this is a problem) and removed that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 7:19 PM   in reply to nsbullock

Do you have something 'FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl' in C:\Windows\system32 ?  If so, delete it, then try the uninstall/reinstall again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 12:31 AM   in reply to nsbullock

If the same thing still happens immediately after a reboot, try deleting it using Unlocker.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 2:07 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

I don't have FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl in there.  I'm still stuck unable to install flash.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2011 6:45 AM   in reply to nsbullock

Im having the same problem, and i've tryed to uninstall everything, firefox, everything that is named Adobe, and it stills tells me to Close the Flash player settings manage, which i find in my Control panel, but how do i close it?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2011 10:35 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

I'm having the exact same problem on Vista home premium 64bi using firefox.

I've searched through many threads trying to find a solution but nothing has helped, I have none of the related files in system32 (not even a /macromed directory) and still I get the error "The flash player settings manager is currently open. Please close the flash player settings manager and try again." when trying to install or uninstall flash with any executable. These messages also still occur when i try to run the installer or uninstaller in safe mode, when surely nothing at all should be running? As said before, I can't find any version of flash installed, and the system32 directories/files aren't there. I've also tried using the msi installer instead of the .exe, but i get the message "error 1722, there is a problem with this windows installer package - - - actio newcustomaction1 ,location: ...\installplugin.exe, c.."  

This is driving me mad, I just want to use flash and i've never had a problem like this before! Especially one where i can't find ANY solutions that work online.

thankyou.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2011 5:50 PM   in reply to nsbullock

To everybody who has posted in this topic and still has problems...

I have asked the o/p of http://forums.adobe.com/thread/890457 to file a bug report about this; hopefully this will be investigated and resolved soon.

Meanwhile, to complete the installation, use Unlocker to delete the stuck file FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl

On 32-bit systems, this file is located in C:\Windows\system32

On 64-bit systems, this file is located in C:\Windows\syswow64

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2011 4:51 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Thank you for your help, I have now managed to install it (silly me for not realizing syswow64 instead of system32 for 64 bit) and I hope this whole thing gets resolved soon!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2011 9:19 AM   in reply to nsbullock

Indeed it also helped be me, to remove the file in syswow64, and now it works all fine. cheers for the help.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2011 7:54 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Bugbase entry https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=2947164

Anybody who was affected by this, please go there and vote!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2011 5:31 PM   in reply to nsbullock

I have been receiving that same message ever since attempting to install the Flash Player upgrade about six weeks ago.  I uninstalled

Flash Player so I could start from scratch, but continue to receive the same message whenever I try to install Flash Player.  I even tried

to install the beta 11 and got the "The Flash Settings Manager is currently open.  Please close the Flash Player Settings Manager and try again." message.

Don't you think it would be appropriate to accompany the request to close the Flash Player Settings Manager with some instructions on how to do so?  AND  how can I close it when Flash Player has been uninstalled?

I have a 64 bit Windows 7 system, using Internet Explorer, but it is not the 64 bit Explorer, at least that is not what appears in the About menu.

This has become quite the barrier to viewing content on the Web.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2011 5:31 PM   in reply to jun4317

jun4317 wrote:

This has become quite the barrier to viewing content on the Web.

Have you followed my instructions?

Have you voted in the bugbase?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2011 8:43 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

I voted in the bugbase.  I assume that is some effort to

get the attention of Adobe to this issue.

Not sure if I followed your instructions.  I've tried several suggested solutions including the Unlocker tip.  I could not find Unlocker.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2011 8:46 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

I noticed the 2008 date, so I guess this isn't a

recent problem.  I wonder why it pops up so intermittantly.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 8, 2011 2:38 PM   in reply to jun4317

We're trying to get to the bottom of this problem.  Would you mind posting the contents of your FlashInstall.log so we could see what's going on with the installer?

Where do I find the Flash Player installation log on Windows?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2011 1:49 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I posted my log but don't see it here.  Did you get it?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 12, 2011 4:43 PM   in reply to jun4317

No, I don't see it either.  Could you try again or email me at ccampbel@adobe.com?

Thanks

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2011 9:04 PM   in reply to jun4317

I FOUND AN ANSWER...  the file would not let me delete, so I just changed the name of the old file, then the install worked perfect, give it a try and spread the word

"

Meanwhile, to complete the installation, use Unlocker to delete the stuck file FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl

On 32-bit systems, this file is located in C:\Windows\system32

On 64-bit systems, this file is located in C:\Windows\syswow64

"

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points