Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 4: Name the Project window something other than the file name

Participant ,
Jul 11, 2011 Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I am using Captivate 4 and have a question about the window name of a published project.

In Captivate 3, I could create a project file with any file name (for example, name the file “my_cp_project.cp”).

In Preferences -> General -> change the Project name (from “my_cp_project.cp” to whatever clear text I want (for example, “My Captivate Version 3 Project”).

When I publish the project and test it I would launch the published html in my browser for viewing. The browser would render a window with the “clear text” name (in this example, the text “My Captivate Version 3 Project” would appear in the upper left corner of the window.

In Captivate 4 the preferences are different. When I create a project file (for example, name the file “my_cp_project.cp”) with the same name structure, the behavior is different.

In Preferences -> Project -> Info in Project name I use the clear text that I want (for example, “My Captivate Version 3 Project”).

When I publish the project and test it by launching it in a browser, the browser would render a window for the project, but the window name would be “my_cp_project.cp”. I can see no place where I can change this.

Is there another method to use for controlling the project window name? I have looked through the forums and found that you can't do this using a variable. Is there a setting I am missing?

Thank you,

TPK

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jul 14, 2011 Jul 14, 2011

Doubt that you can modify the source - it's the code that generates the text that's the problem.

If your build number is 1596 then you haven't got the patch.

Info on what it fixes here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2009/05/captvate_4_patch_update.html

Not sure where to find it via the Adobe site now we've got 5.5 - Adobe ain't very good at keeping updates on old versions live.

Try here for a direct download - who knows how long it'll stay live:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/captivate/update/captivate_4_updater.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2011 Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If memory serves, this was a bit buggy in Captivate 4 and the workaround was to hand edit the HTML file by opening in Windows Notepad and tweaking there.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2011 Jul 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rick,

It sounds like you are saying to modify the published HTML. Is that correct? If so not a problem, just tedious. Is there a source file (default.html) modification I can do?

I wasn't aware of a patch for Captivate 4 (my company actually purchased 4 just prior to the announcement of 5 so we lost out on the auto upgrade.) I think I assumed I had the latest build. If anyone can provide me with more information, such as what the latest version build of Captivate 4 is, that would be helpful. If I am one patch shy of a good build I might be able to track down the patch.

Thanks again,

TPK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 14, 2011 Jul 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doubt that you can modify the source - it's the code that generates the text that's the problem.

If your build number is 1596 then you haven't got the patch.

Info on what it fixes here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2009/05/captvate_4_patch_update.html

Not sure where to find it via the Adobe site now we've got 5.5 - Adobe ain't very good at keeping updates on old versions live.

Try here for a direct download - who knows how long it'll stay live:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2011 Jul 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you brightonjon,

You were correct. The flaw isn't in the build html and no amount of tweaking can correct the problem. Thank you for the download link. I will run the patch. In the meantime I have gotten permission to upgrade to version 5.5. So I'll run the patch, update my current projects and wait for the purchase of the sLearning Suite upgrade.

Thanks so much for the information and links,

TPK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 15, 2011 Jul 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

Let us know if everything is OK once you install the patch.

Incidentally, for anyone else downloading the updater, the forum seems to have inserted a space in the filename showing in my previous reply - but the hyperlink itself is correct.

it's done it again. No space in updater

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 12, 2011 Jul 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can find the patch for Cp4 that should fix the issue, but if not or for some reason you can't install it then you need as Rick says to amend the html file.

Just open it in an ordinary text editor and change the text in between <title> and </title> about 8 lines down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources