Skip navigation
Alex DeJesus 496 posts
Jul 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Overclock Question ASUS Board Sandy Bridge

Jul 13, 2011 9:10 AM

The BIOS utility for the P8P67 Pro B3 Board has an EZ Mode that allows you to select from 3 performance presets: Powersaving, Normal, and Overclock mode. When I set it to Overclock, the system becomes unstable - won't bootup or will freeze during some operation.

There is also a tool for overclocking from within Windows after bootup. Again, anything other than the stock setting causes instability.

I had hoped to overclock the traditional manual way, but don't think it's a good idea if the presets don't work. I was wondering if anyone else had similar problems or should I disregard the presets.

CPU i7-2600k

16 GB RAM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2011 9:25 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

installing any of those utilities on the mobo disk is a bad idea for that matter anything on the disk (all drivers should be downloaded other than the NIC so you can get on the internet)

OCing needs to be done in the bios not thru software

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 2:52 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

I did read a big piece about easy -step by step- 2600k overclocking but i'm dutch and will spare you my funny language.

But  it's very easy in general and a lot off the new 1155 motherboards like Asus also does have a very nice OC app included for clocking to +/- 5 GHz.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 3:00 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

If you cannot overclock with those easy preset tools I suspect that your CPU may be overheating. What temperature are your cores running without overclocking?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 4:52 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

Actually, in my case, the auto-overclock setting not only set the multiplier to 43x, but also raised the BCLK from its stock 100MHz to 103MHz, resulting in an overall clock speed of 4.429GHz. However, some i7-2600K CPUs start running unstably at this slightly elevated BCLK setting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 5:46 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

Here's the Asus ''easy to OC'' board

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H67M_PRO/

My Q6600 is with org. cooler and no OC 65 degrees celcius, with 30 % OC and zalman cnps 7500 cpu cooler below 60 degrees celsius.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 7:08 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

Actually, I was referring to the 103MHz BCLK, not the 4.429GHz core clock, as being "slightly elevated".

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points