Skip navigation
brutuscat
Currently Being Moderated

Will pb3d be available for Mobile devices?

Jul 13, 2011 11:15 AM

Hi, taking into account that Pixel bender is not available currently in iOS (neither Android for what I have read), the questions is the next one:

Will Pixel Bender 3D be available for any/some Mobile devices?

Which platforms are you planning to support?

I am planning an application where custom transitions/animations are part of how the user would feel the app. And I have to choose between PB (custom filters/shaders) and bitmapData/matrix3d apis. Which one would you choose if you have to think in terms of performance and code reusing when developing for Desktops and Mobile devices? The app will need to fadein/out, blend and other good looking affects on simple items like images and such.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2011 10:46 AM   in reply to brutuscat

PB3D is built on top of the new Flash player Molehill APIs so it will be available wherever Flash is. There is more infomation here:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplatformruntimes/features/stag e3d.html

Particularly this question:

Will 3D be supported in mobile versions of Flash Player too? When?

Yes, we expect the Stage3D APIs to be available on mobile platforms, such as Android and Linux Mobile. We expect to work with partners through the Open Screen Project to enable 3D in Flash Player and AIR on devices.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2011 10:48 AM   in reply to brutuscat

Without knowing the details of your app it's difficult to say for certain what the best approach is, but given that Molehill/Stage3D will give you hardware acceleration on any platform that supports it (and its software fallback is pretty fast as well) I definitely think you should look into that.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2011 11:15 AM   in reply to brutuscat

PB2D and PB3D have entirely different ways of running through the flash player. PB3D will run wherever the Molehill / Stage3D apis run, and will use hardware accelaratin wherever possible. You can get more information on Molehill at the incubator forum here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/flashplatformruntimes/incubator ?view=discussions&start=0

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2011 8:17 AM   in reply to brutuscat

Yes surely but im sure it will take some time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points