Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can fonts from a Mac go directly onto a Flash drive then to my PC?

Jul 13, 2011 8:05 PM

I'm trying to work on a document at home where I have a PC. We have the same software at work, but Apple computers. When I try to open the document I get a "missing fonts" message. Can I plug my thumb drive into the Mac at work and just drag the fonts to the drive, then take them home and use the Windows font installation procedure?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2011 8:12 PM   in reply to HealthcareHelper

Technically, this would work only if the fonts are OpenType fonts (.OTF), Windows-format TrueType (.TTF), or Windows format Type 1 (both a .PFB and a .PFM file required) fonts. Any Macintosh format fonts such as Macintosh TrueType, Macintosh Type 1, and Macintosh .dfont fonts simply won't work on Windows.

But there is another problem. Legally, you may have problems unless you or your organization have a license that covers multiple systems and for which you would not be violating the EULA (End User License Agreement) for the font. Not all font vendors use the same licensing. Some license a font for a single system, some for several, etc. and in many cases, it is limited to a single specific user.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points