Skip navigation
scotlander32
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)

Jul 15, 2011 3:30 AM

Hi,

I had to carry out a system restore to fix a Sophos antivirus problem, which was successful. I tried to launch a PDF file but received an error stating that the program could not launch as it wasn't configured correctly. Trying to launch X Pro directly from it's icon or start menu resulted in the same error.

I also noticed that the integrated 'conversion menu's in MS Office had disappeared.

I tried a 'repair' through the add/remove programmes in the control panel, which ran through without any errors. Still the same errors when trying to launch any PDF documents.

I am now seemingly stuck in a loop as Acrobat X won't uninstall through the add/remove programmes panel (error reads - patch package could not be opened). I get the same patch package error when I try to re-install from the original CD. I cannot even revery back to our previous Acrobat 7.0 Standard as the installation aborts as it has detected 'a more suitable product is installed.'

Can anyone advise on a complete removal method of every trace of Adobe Acrobat Pro on my PC, so that I can try to re-install. I am currently left with a very expensive product which will not work Any advice appreciated.

Scotlander.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2011 8:51 AM   in reply to scotlander32

You might try the removal tool in CCleaner. Not sure if it will do the job or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2011 11:46 AM   in reply to scotlander32

Scotlander,

Check your DEP settings.   Your Data Execution Program might be preventing Acorbat X from starting.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

This site should allow you to find the DEP program in your system and find out if it is preventing Acrobat X from starting.

Refer to HELP if needed.

Capnbobby

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2011 12:16 PM   in reply to scotlander32

Sounds like the registry still has some traces of AA X. Not sure how to fix that for AA X. For prior versions that was a knowledgebase article on the manual uninstall with discussion of the registry issues. If you can find that article it might help you in the current endevour.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 7:00 AM   in reply to scotlander32

There is a Windows Installer Cleanup tool floating around, MS took it off their site. If you can find that it might do the cleanup of the registry that you need. As before, it is probably a good idea to backup the registry first.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 8:40 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

is there an error code listed such as 1300 or 1402 listed with the patch package error?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2011 4:29 PM   in reply to scotlander32

Scottland32, Bill@VT, et al,

Today Sunday July 24, 2011 I was successful in getting my re-installed Acrobat 8.0 (8.1.0) running without a shutdown error!

I hate to cry "success" so quickly, however I wanted to share MY solution to MY problem and perhaps guide someone else to a different approach.

First I did a complete purge of my Acrobat 8.0. All files and all Registry items that I could locate.

I then re-installed from scratch. I DID NOT do any updates. Program opened OK and all seemed well until I put my curser in the FILE...menu and moved it around or hesitated...such as attempting to save the open file. The error appeared AGAIN.

I then started an in depth search of my ADMINISTRATIVE EVENT VIEWER (Windows Vista). I traced back this particular error to June 14, 2011. This is when I began having problems. I then looked and saw that I had installed two programs on that date, prior to the "time" of my errors. One program was Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (Compact Version) and the other program was

ApachePHPMYSQL-1. I was using these programs to try and learn the ins and outs of PHP.

At this point, I simply UNINSTALLED these two programs using my REVO Uninstaller. I then re-started my computer (reboot) and then opened Acrobat 8.1 and so far all is working fine. (fingers crossed). At least Acrobat is NOT shutting down on errors!

I now feel that it was NOT an ADOBE update problem nor a Windows Update problem. I believe, in my case, that it was one or both of the programs mentioned above. I will wait awhile before installing my Acrobat updates again. I am tired of troubleshooting and restarting my computer so many times. If anything else develops, I will post on the board.

Thanks for your inputs

Capnbobby

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 9:05 AM   in reply to scotlander32

Scottland32, Bill@VT, et al,

Today Sunday July 24, 2011 I was successful in getting my re-installed Acrobat 8.0 (8.1.0) running without a shutdown error!

I hate to cry "success" so quickly, however I wanted to share MY solution to MY problem and perhaps guide someone else to a different approach.   First I did a complete purge of my Acrobat 8.0.  All files and all Registry items that I could locate. 

I then re-installed from scratch. I DID NOT do any updates.  Program opened OK and all seemed well until I put my curser in the FILE...menu and moved it around or hesitated...such as attempting to save the open file.  The error appeared AGAIN.

I then started an in depth search of my ADMINISTRATIVE EVENT VIEWER (Windows Vista).  I traced back this particular error to June 14, 2011.  This is when I began having problems.  I then looked and saw that I had installed two programs on that date, prior to the "time" of my errors.  One program was Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (Compact Version) and the other program was  ApachePHPMYSQL-1.  I was using these programs to try and learn the ins and outs of PHP.

At this point, I simply UNINSTALLED these two programs using my REVO Uninstaller.  I then re-started my computer (reboot) and then opened Acrobat 8.1 and so far all is working fine.  (fingers crossed).  At least Acrobat is NOT shutting down on errors!   I now feel that it was NOT an ADOBE update problem nor a Windows Update problem.

I believe, in my case, that it was one or both of the programs mentioned above.  I will wait awhile before installing my Acrobat updates again.  I am tired of troubleshooting and restarting my computer so many times.  If anything else develops, I will post on the board.   Thanks for your inputs

Capnbobby

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 11:35 AM   in reply to capnbobby

Don't have an opinion on the solution, but thanks for sharing it with us. It shows the power of looking at the logs when you remember the day your problem started. Hard to believe that SQL would do that, but glad your fix seemed to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to scotlander32

Scotlander c

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers