Skip navigation
Missdefied
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS5 will not open some tiff files

Jul 15, 2011 5:37 AM

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and I'm using Photoshop CS5 as my default program for opening .jpg and .tif files.

Recently I installed a new scanner (Canon Lide210) and I usually save the scanned images as .tif files (for manipulation later).

Images in .tif format saved from scans with my old Canon scanner (that does not work with Windows 7) open fine in Photoshop but images from the new scanner will not open (message says 'Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop').

Can anyone help with this? I always thought tifs were tifs and didn't realise there could be different 'versions'.

I do a lot of detailed artwork and it's important that I can work with tif files (and preferably with this new scanner!!)

Thanks for your help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2011 7:56 AM   in reply to Missdefied

Are there any options to set when saving as tif from your scanner? Can you save in any other format (raw), open in Photoshop then save as tif?

Just a couple of thoughts.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2011 8:18 AM   in reply to Missdefied

PS is quite selective in the format of an image.  If all else fails open in another program, like Infraview, then save as TIFF.  That ususally works.

But agree you need to fix the scanner.  You may have to contact Cannon for them to rewrite the code.  If it is indeed a bug they would surely want a fix as a lot of users have PS on their computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2011 12:27 PM   in reply to Missdefied

TIFF has many possibilities for bit depth, encodings, etc. plus the possibility of custom encodings and tags.

A few imaging vendors have abused this flexibility to include non-standard data in TIFF files while claiming that the files are interechangeable (I still swear they hire interns to write their file format support, and the interns never read documentation).

Anyway. Without a sample file to examine, I can't tell you exactly why Photoshop is rejecting it.

If you can provide a sample, then I could take a look and see what's going on.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2011 12:29 PM   in reply to Missdefied

If the file is very large (and likely it is, if it's TIFF), you could provide a file in this manner:

1.  Go to YouSendIt.com and sign up for their free service.

2.  Upload your file and send it to yourself.

3.  When you receive the URL, post it here.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points