Skip navigation

Extension Manager CS5.5 does not open (Windows 7)

Jul 18, 2011 1:28 PM

Latest reply: MiguelHartTenerife, Oct 10, 2013 6:07 AM
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 29, 2011 6:34 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

Thank you Carl for your suggestions.

It turned out not to be a permission issue. My issue, like a previous poster, was the Flashbug Firefox plug-in. Once I removed Flashbug from the path you specified everything worked like a charm.

Again, thank you VERY much for your guidance. I’m glad this was relatively easy to resolve. I would have hated to uninstall and reinstall only to have the same issue.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Shawn Janes

Senior Web Developer

shawnjanes@greeneconsults.com <mailto:shawnjanes@greeneconsults.com>   |   T 404.324.4600   |   F 404.324.4610   |  www.greeneconsults.com <http://www.greeneconsults.com/>

Waterstone Building   |   4751 Best Road, Suite 450   |   Atlanta, Georgia  30337

<http://www.facebook.com/people/Greene-Consulting/1669194458>     <http://twitter.com/#%21/gca_atlanta>     <http://www.linkedin.com/company/134940>     <http://www.youtube.com/user/greeneconsults>     <http://blog.greeneconsults.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 9:00 AM   in reply to Shawn Janes

I had the Flash Firebug plug-in for Firefox installed.  After uninstalling it, the extension manager opens.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2011 12:50 PM   in reply to sandy.demi

I found that by simply disabling Firebug I was able to run the extension Manager. In Firefox go to TOOLS > ADD-ONS...

The strange thing is, after I installed an extension I enabled Firebug again and now Extension Manager opens with no problem. I suspect it will fail in a few days.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 8:03 AM   in reply to sandy.demi

The issue of Extension Manager not appearing seems to have been around for at least three years, and it doesn't appear that Adobe has done much (if anything) about helping us on it. Like others in this thread, I am running Windows 7 and suddenly Extension Manager CS5.5 does not open. I have tried all of the tricks that others have suggested here and elsewhere, but nothing has helped. I do see that when Extension Manager runs, it does show as a running process in Task Manager, but there is no display. This happens whether Extension Manager is invoked standalone or from the Dreamweaver menu. Believing that the problem is a conflict with some other process, I used msconfig to load only basic services, and even that didn't help. I even removed CS5.5 and reinstalled CS4, and darn it if that's not working now either.

If anyone has any new ideas, I'd sure like to hear them. And, needless to say, if I come up with "my solution", I'll post it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 8:16 AM   in reply to dynalert

Try to Disable or uninstall firebug and it's should work

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 8:25 AM   in reply to webesco

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, disabling firebug is the first thing I tried. It didn't help. So I uninstalled it altogether. Still no go.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 8:27 AM   in reply to sandy.demi

Yea I am super disappointed in adobe for this one. Their tech support is no help at all. For the amount of money we paid for the adobe software u would think they would help. Disappointed

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 2:04 AM   in reply to dynalert

It seems that Extension Manager works fine in the past as you said SUDDENLY Extension Manager CS5.5 does not open. If it is true, please delete C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager CS5.5\Configuration\Extensions\exman_uiPreferences.xml then relaunch Extension Manager.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 2:33 AM   in reply to dynalert

Well, I had removed firebug several times before and Extension Manager still wouldn't present, even after cold restarts. Today I had a reason to reboot because of totally unrelated issue and ... voila ... Extension Manager suddenly presented normally. Go figure....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 11:21 PM   in reply to dynalert

Hi there,

I have the same problem. The load bar gets to about 60% and it hangs. I have tried all suggestions above with no joy. Can anyone suggest another solution???? Most frustrating because I depend heavily on extensions

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 12:17 AM   in reply to chrisGunner

Please rename all XManConfig.xml files under CS product install folders, then launch Extension Manager. If EM launches successfully, rename XManConfig.xml back one by one, launch EM every time you rename one XManConfig.xml back so as to know the extension of which product causes this issue. After the product is determined, generate log files and search the last extension name which appears in log files. Remove the files of that extension from the cache folder of this product (You can search the zxp/mxp file in disk to know where the cache folder is).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 5:32 PM   in reply to chrisGunner

Have you installed DMXzone Calendar 2 extension? If yes, please move this extension related files out of C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager CS5.5\Configuration\Extensions then retry.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

This suggestion worked for me, Thank you Carl Sun!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to Carl Sun

Having this same problem, I noticed when I launched Extension Manager and moused over the application in the task bar, it would should me the image of the app running (Windows 7). The behavior was just that I couldn't "see it" on the screen, and that made me suspicious about the window position.

Using the post information from Carl Sun, I opened the exman_uiPreferences.xml file and sure enough the entry for the x_position of the window had a minus - sign in front of it. I edited the entry to remove the minus sign, saved the file, launched Extension Manager, and voila problem solved. No idea if this is the same issue everyone else is experiencing or not...

Here's the steps I took:

1. Open XML file for editing

C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager CS5.5\Configuration\Extensions\exman_uiPreferences.xml

2. Check position entries for negative values

<windowPosition_x>-946</windowPosition_x>

<windowPosition_y>181</windowPosition_y>

3. Change negative value to positive and save.

4. Relaunch Extension Manager

Good luck and hope it helps!

Cheers,

Bill

NOTE to Adobe: Generally not a good idea to allow a negative value for a Windows position. (rolling eyes)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to BillG_C3

Hello,

Authors of FlashFirebug here. Trying to assess weather FlashFirebug could have something to do with this bug.

We create a file called ffbug.cfg in your local trust folder (just search your home folder for it). It's created everytime Firefox starts.

Can you try to open your buggy FLAs with this file present and with this file deleted? Also, can you paste this file's contents if it is indeed causing this bug. Finally, please make sure you're using FlashFirebug 4.54 while testing. Feedback highly appreciated. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to O-Minds

I never had FlashFirebug installed and had this issue occur to me, so I'm skeptical your software has anything to do with the problem. As noted in my post of Sep 27, 2012, my problem was a negative value in the X window position in the extension manager preferences file exman_uiPreferences.xml in my roaming profile.

I cannot say whether this was or was not the issue experienced by others. Good luck!

Cheers,

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

One Extension did not install correctly and since then ME CS6 did not work anymore

In my case it helped to delete the files in the following folder: C:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager CS6\EM Store\Dreamweaver CS6

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points