Skip navigation
trip777
Currently Being Moderated

The following plug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash

Jul 20, 2011 11:59 PM

PLEASE HELP.

For some reason, whenever i go to a youtube video, or any page that requires flash, it shows a dead jigsaw piece and the following appears at the top of the page.

The following plug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash

I use Google Chrome, but even when i try go on Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari...Shockwave Flash still crashes.

I have tried reinstalling Flash, reinstalling Chrome, installing earlier versions of Flash, cleaning the registry, and lots more.

The computer is Vista, and I have the latest version of Chrome and Flash.

Please, if you have any solutions or even suggestions, i will try them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2011 12:23 AM   in reply to trip777

Can you see the Flash animation (rotating red 'f') at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ ?

When you right-click on that Flash object, can you get Settings in the drop-down?  If yes, can you try to disable Hardware Acceleration?

If not, can you update the device drivers for you display adapter?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2011 6:06 PM   in reply to trip777

To update the device drivers for your display adapter, check Device Manager for the make and exact model of your device, then go to the manufacturers support site to download the latest drivers.

If you need any more help with that, please specify the make and model of your display adapter.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2011 8:13 PM   in reply to trip777

They don't list the exact model that you have on the manual download, and I don't know if a similar model will do.

Please try the automatic method again; I just tried it (with Firefox 3.6.18) and it worked fine.

If you cannot get it to work, try http://drivermax.com/ - use the free version that allows up to two driver downloads per day.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 12:12 AM   in reply to trip777

Sorry for that; it was my only hope.

Can you report your issue according to http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83952.html and then send a PM to Chris Campbell with a link to the bug report and this topic?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jul 22, 2011 11:24 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

In addition to what Pat mentioned, here's a thread I created that goes into detail about how to generate the info we'll need for a Flash Player crash.  It's probably more up to date than the knowledge base article previously linked.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/864940

If you can send me the crash log (ccampbel@adobe.com), I'll take a look to see if we already know about it and if there are any workarounds that you can use.

Thanks,

Chris

PS. We also have a beta version of our new player over on labs.adobe.com.  This contains fixes that are not in our current release.  After you grab the crash logs, I'd recommend installing the labs version and giving that a try.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 1, 2011 2:25 PM   in reply to trip777

Sorry for the delay, I've looked at the crash log but we're still investigating.  It's crashing in a part of the code dealing with text fields (in particular, it appears to die in mlang.dll which is a multilanguage support dll from Microsoft.)  What language is OS running?  Have you ever run into trouble with fonts before?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2011 5:30 PM   in reply to trip777

OS is your operating system, like Windows.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 3, 2011 2:43 PM   in reply to trip777

I wanted to let you know that we've submitted this issue in our internal bug database (#2934784).

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2011 1:00 PM   in reply to trip777

This is a disgrace to adobe - I always thought that you people knew what you were doing but this flash player makes you look like fools.  I have replaced it 5 times since noon today (4pm EDT now)

In addition you need to get that Norton Crap off the screen - I am forced to look at that crap everytime I FIX the player - Fix this.  You made the mistake - you fix it!!!!!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 23, 2011 9:16 PM   in reply to darskitu

darskitu wrote:

This is a disgrace to adobe - I always thought that you people knew what you were doing but this flash player makes you look like fools.  I have replaced it 5 times since noon today (4pm EDT now)

In addition you need to get that Norton Crap off the screen - I am forced to look at that crap everytime I FIX the player - Fix this.  You made the mistake - you fix it!!!!!!!!!!

Darskitu,

I believe you're running into a different problem.  Can you please create a new thread and give us a short recap on what's happening with your system, and a few system details (OS and browser versions.)

As for the Norton dialogs, I'd recommend posting over on their forums.  Flash Player isn't responsible for Norton dialogs appearing (at least not directly.)

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2011 6:05 PM   in reply to trip777

Have you ever tried to disable Hardware Acceleration, as I suggested in http://forums.adobe.com/message/3811572#3811572 ?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2011 6:06 PM   in reply to trip777

Also, have you updated to the latest Flash Player version 10.3.183.7?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2011 7:34 PM   in reply to trip777

trip777 wrote:

Also, i cant disable hardware acceleration. I cant right click on the jigsaw piece.

Sorry I don't understand the word "cant" - what happens when you try?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 6, 2011 8:30 PM   in reply to trip777

Could you check to see if you have any crash logs available?  If you do, please add a new bug to bugbase.adobe.com and attach the log along with the other pertinent information asked for in this post:

How to report a crash with Flash Player

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 9, 2011 6:21 PM   in reply to trip777

Thanks, could you add a bug using the instructions I posted above?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 9, 2011 6:28 PM   in reply to trip777

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2011 11:32 AM   in reply to trip777

Hi, i'm another one with the same problem.

System specs: Athlon 64 2400+ hyper-threading, 1.5GB ram, xfx nvidia 8400GS 256mb video card.

WinXP SP3,

Flash Player version 10.3.183.7

I've that crash problem since i've updated to the last player version, but previously i've updated

the video card drivers, and i've realized that the nvidia's system info figures that it's a 512mb

video card, it isn't true, but the other aplications works without a problem.

Already tried the hardware acceleration disabled, and uninstalling-cleaning-reinstalling the browsers

and players.

MS Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome throws the same.

I haven't a crash log because it tilts all the system with a 100% CPU usage

( and i can hear the fan cooler's full throttle ) from 'plugin container' in Firefox/Chrome and 'IExplorer'

process on the omonim,  the only way to take off is with a reset.

I work with Flash Develop CS4, with the Flash Player 10 version 10.0.2.54 release and debug,

all installed in the same computer, and that's still working perfectly.

Hope that will help. If i found something else i will post it.

Walter.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 5:05 PM   in reply to trip777

Count me in with the issues. It's been occuring more and more frequently across a variety of websites that use Flash. I've searched the internet high and low for a solution, but ever one question I find, another ten spring up. As walter has done, I have uninstalled/cleaned/reinstalled all my versions, hardware accelleration is disabled already, etc...but the issue is just not being resolved.

Win 7/64bit

8 gigs ram

nVidia 320m

intel i7 Q820

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers