Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator snaps to pixel & alters path??

Jul 21, 2011 2:49 PM

The paths i'm working with are for some odd and annoying reason snapping to the pixel grid. I even have the "Snap to Pixel" turned off and the vector paths are being altered by illustrator so they visuall fit in the pixel grid. I've never experienced this before where illustrator actuall moves the anchor points where it wants. Here's an example of what's going on (this happens in pixel preview and normal preview):

Here's a vector path on a grid created to show where the pixels are:

preview_02469.png

I select the object, swap the FILL to the STROKE and right away you can see that illustrator altered the location of the paths:

preview_02470.png

I swap the STROKE back to the FILL and it alters the paths even more!

preview_02471.png

Here's another example:

The paths clearly are not aligned with the pixel grid, but illustrator is trying everything it can to make the pixels line up. (This graphic has "Align stroke to inside" and is in pixel preview).

preview_02467.png

Same thing but not in pixel preview. Super weird behavior:

preview_02466.png

Is there some kind of setting in the master preferences that's causing this behavior? I made sure snap to grid and snap to pixel is turned off and still to no avail. Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2011 3:09 PM   in reply to thesergie

I'm assuming CS5 since you mention align to pixel grid. Is that correct?

Possible bug but....

I can easily reproduce the issue with a small graphic and align to pixel grid ON. If I turn off Align to Pixel grid (in the Transform panel) the issue goes away.

Note it has to be a very small graphic for the issue to present itself.

Are you certain you have Align to Pixel grid off?

If so.. you might try trashing your prefs file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2011 3:27 PM   in reply to thesergie

Yeah it may be a bug in the respect you mention. But.. possibly not. Ai uses the preview bounds to align to the pixel grid. So the stroke would align differently than the fill. You should see no change if the object had both a stroke and a fill and you were swapping them. You only see the behavior on objects without a fill or without a stroke and you swap the stroke/fill. The preview bounds change so the snapping changes. Honestly, I'm not certain if it's a bug or expected behavior.

To trash prefs you can hold down Command-Option-Shift on launch. You will not see any dialog box or any confirmation whatsoever. But prefs will be trashed. What this does is set Illustrator back to it's default settings (except workspaces). This will often sort out a tool or feature that is not acting as it should. But you'll need to go in and reset your scratch disks and other preferences if you've altered them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2011 6:48 PM   in reply to thesergie

That would fall under the same issue. Since you move the stroke from center to inside, the preview bounds of the object change. Just like they would for the fill. Basically, same thing just a different way to see it.

As for changing all objects to "Off" for the pixel grid, I don't belive there's a mechanism for that if you already have mixed objects. The only thing I'd suggest is Select All, toggle it on, then toggle it off. Then check the indiviual objects. That may change them all. And no, trashing prefs won't solve that becuase the settings are object based, not Application based.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 4:52 AM   in reply to [scott w]

You can do a Select > Object > Not aligned to pixel grid. Then invert the selection. Then uncheck the setting "Align to pixel grid". That way you don't need to first turn it on. Because when turning it on, paths will get distorted.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to thesergie

It's actually an issue with having snap to point turned on. Once you turn that off the problem goes away.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points