Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I highlight on the Design View or to show in a panel elements that receive a CSS rule ?

Jul 25, 2011 8:57 AM

Hi,

I mean, when I am on a CSS file. I want  to do something similar to when I am at  Source Code panel. ok?

All the best!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2011 9:22 AM   in reply to Yuri Câmara

If you keep a Firefox window (with the Web Developer Toolbar installed) open while you work,

you can use its "Inspect Element" feature to highlight anything in the code and display all

relevant CSS styles affecting it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 2:35 PM   in reply to Yuri Câmara

Set your CSS panel to CURRENT.  Click on the stairstep icon without the red blotch at the bottom.  When you select an item the rules pane will show you what rules apply to that item.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 3:44 PM   in reply to Yuri Câmara

with the selectors #main e #tagline

Only two elements will receive those rules -

Do a find and replace to find the two elements on the page that have those ID values.  The rule's styles will cascade into those two containers so all applicable inner descendent containers will also be affected.

As I said, find those two containers, and begin to select elements within them - look at the CSS panel to see when those selectors show up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 5:38 PM   in reply to Yuri Câmara

For example, I  have a CSS rule in a external  file with the selectors #main e #tagline. 

One thing you have to understand is that anything with the pound sign [ # ] indicates that it is an ID.  This being the case then I can bet on it that you are not likely to find more than one item using that css rule.  IDs can be used only once on a pge.

You also say you have [ e ].  I don't know what this is unless it is a typo.

If you have a class rule (i.e. something like .myclass) then you can search for that name on the page to see where that rule affected.

This is the best I can suggest here for now.

hth

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 6:22 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

Rules that apply to a an id-selector can cascade into descendent containers.

#foo { color:red; }

for example....

And the "e" is used as an "and" in that sentence.  The speaker's native tongue does not appear to be English....

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 6:34 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

Murray *ACP* wrote:

Rules that apply to a an id-selector can cascade into descendent containers.

#foo { color:red; }

for example....

And the "e" is used as an "and" in that sentence.  The speaker's native tongue does not appear to be English....

That is true but the chances of findling this is very high if the OP can search for the ID name and then click on that tag to highlight the entire block within that ID.  DW has this facility and I can post a print-scrn of it if necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 7:56 AM   in reply to Yuri Câmara

I will try to do a "tutorial" video to show what I would exactly like to do on Dreamweaver.

I think we get it.  No need to do the video.

it will be my suggestion for a new version. ok?

What would you like us to do with it?  You are not talking to Adobe here - we are all just users.  If you want to suggest a feature for future versions, please go here -

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points