Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why does Reader say "Failed to initialize"?

Jul 25, 2011 8:37 PM

Trying to install Reader 10 on a Windows XP SP3 system.  During installation, I'm getting an error message that reads "Installation encountered errors" and "Failed to initialize".

I tried uninstalling older versions of Reader still on my system, but no change.  I reinstalled Reader 8 from a CD, and that doesn't make any difference, either.  I tried doing a search on "Failed to initialize" on this site, but didn't come up with anything pertinent for Reader.

Any clues?  Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2011 12:30 PM   in reply to retropia2

I would like to know the same thing!  I'm having the same problem, and it happens with Mozilla, Chrome, and Explorer!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 3:01 AM   in reply to retropia2

Thanks so much!  It worked for me, too!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 2:01 PM   in reply to retropia2

Thank you I was searching all over for this!! The link posted by retropia2 works for me too it is:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/  use it if the other doesn't work for you. Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to sirjadedone

I have a similar OS to retrotopia and was getting the same error message "failed to initialize" but retrotopias workaround link

http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

worked for me too.

The difference for me, downloading with Firefox, seems to be that the above link downloads the entire 50.2MB package rather than a little 747kB install manager. I can see the size of the downloads in Firefoxes download received window.The 50.2MB package unpacks itself and installs Adobe Reader with no trouble at all while the 747kB install manager seems to be failing to initiate the download from the Adobe site.

Please note that I'm not a computer pro or even very knowledgeable but this is what I observed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points