Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

operating system error: number = 0x00000020????? HELP

Jul 27, 2011 4:41 PM

operating system error: number = 0x00000020????? HELP???

When trying to build a DVD in Premiere Elements9
, after I check project, with no errors, and after I click build DVD, it starts to render but then gives this error:

operating system error: number = 0x00000020 - The process cannot access the file becasue it is being used by another process.

I have quit evey other program and restarted but nothing works. Anyone know what this means. Anyone know what I can do?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2011 5:01 PM   in reply to OldTrucker049

We'll need a lot more information to help you, Trucker.

What operating system are you using? Have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you have even the non-critical updates?

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have? How much free, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive?

Are you editing to your C drive or to a second or external drive?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

Which project settings did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project? If you've selected the ideal format for your video, there will be no red lines above the clips on your timeline until you've added effects to them. Is that the case in your situation?

Have you pressed Enter to render your timeline so that all red lines above your clips have turned green?

What happens if you use Share/Computer/AVI to output a DV-AVI of your finished video?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2011 6:49 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I am having a similar problem.  I recently installed PE v 9 on my Windows 7 computer and have struggled to write a DVD.  My project consists of three avi files to be accessed via the DVD menu.  Everything seemed fine up until I tried to write the DVD.  The program went through the encoding process, but at some point ejected the blank DVD with no message of any kind.  Later the error "operating system error: number = 0x00000020-The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" appeared.  At this point, when I went back to preview my menu, it had been screwed up with my still background that I had substituted gone and both my labeled buttons and the original template buttons scrambled together.

I then reconstructed my menu and tried to write again.  This time I did not get the error, but the DVD ejected before the progress bar indicated that the burning was finished.  I reinserted the disk and the program indicated right away that burning was complete.  Upon testing the DVD, I found that it worked OK, but my still background was gone and the gray background of the Faux Widescreen template was back.  It had saved my button changes, so the DVD was at least usable.

I am able to write the same project to a DVD on another computer using PE v 7 with some success (a different set of problems I won't go into here).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2011 7:44 PM   in reply to OldTrucker049

The process cannot access the file becasue it is being used by another process.

The first places that I would look would be any real-time anti-virus, malware or pop-up blocking software running. The newer active versions are a major issue, as they lock files on read, or write, and can kill video editing.

Next, I would check whether you have Windows Indexing turned on for the HDD's, where your Assets and Scratch Disks are located.

Please report on those aspects of your system, plus Steve's Questions.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2011 7:15 AM   in reply to OldTrucker049

Index.jpg

Right click the drive letter and select Properties... the "Allow files..." block at the bottom should be UN-checked so indexing is off

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2011 7:27 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John,

I am going to add a graphic, as you did, to the Windows Indexing article. Thanks for that, as a few have come back asking "how do I control Windows' Indexing?"

Appreciated for the idea,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2011 7:44 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Yep... one picture is worth a lot of words

I had never used the camera icon before, so was pleased that it has a "browse my computer" (not the actual option words) feature that let me navigate to the jpg that I quickly made on my hard drive... one feature of this forum software that actually works!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2011 8:04 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Worked a treat!

One thing to think about, when linking to and uploading a PNG, or JPEG is that the Jive software often balks at file names that are long, or that contain spaces (sort of like Encore, eh?), so I always use short file names and the _ (Underscore), instead of spaces.

Now, back to our regularly-scheduled program...

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2011 4:43 PM   in reply to OldTrucker049

Good find Oldtrucker, and thank you for reporting the fix.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2011 7:02 PM   in reply to OldTrucker049

I turned off indexing for the folder that contains my video files.  I downloaded the utility found by OldTrucker049, but lost the nerve to run it after reading some cautionary tales about the company's software on the web.

I tried writing another DVD and got the same behavior as my most recent try.  I did NOT get the 0x00000020 error.  PE 9 went through the encoding phase, then Compiling Media appeared in the Tasks Panel with the progress bar showing immediately 95% complete, but was stuck there for some time.  After two or three minutes the DVD drive began whirring.  After several minutes the Compiling Media progress bar moved up to 96%, but about then the disk ejected.  Examination of the surface showed that it had been written on.  I reinserted the disk.  Shortly after the Tasks Panel indicated that the writing was complete.

I played the DVD successfully with Windows Media Player and it seemed to be fine, except that the background still image that I had used in the menu was gone.

When I went back to Disc Menus in the Tasks Panels, the menu page had my still image (file name KC_andMe.jpg), but when I clicked on Preview, the still image was not present and the buttons were a scrambled mixture of the my edited buttons and the original template buttons.  Images of what I saw are below.

So there are two possibly related problems - PE v9 is not showing correctly what is actually happening (stuck in Compiling Media progress bar when it is actually writing to the disk) and it is rejecting my still image and scrambling the menu I made.

Menu in the Monitor Panel as I want it to be.

menuWanted.jpg

Menu as it appears in the Preview window after I write the DVD.

menuScrambled.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2011 11:01 AM   in reply to Ron Hodges

There is a Bug in PrE 9, with some Menu Sets not accepting custom images. This was not fixed in the PrE 9 patch.

This affects certain Menu Sets, and there are several threads on the forum, that discuss this. One user, ATR, has compiled a list of the "bad" Menu Sets. The fix, as of now, is to add the new background image in PS, or PSE, until Adobe gets a fix, which might not be until PrE 10.

Hunt

PS - I have not read of scrambled Buttons, just with the ignored background Images.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2011 9:23 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks for pointing me to the other threads on this topic.  I tried the expedient suggested by one user of putting an audio file in the menu.  When I did that my custom background image was retained when the DVD was written.  The progress bars stilled "lied" about what was actually happening, but at least I got the DVD I wanted.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2011 8:04 AM   in reply to Ron Hodges

Ron,

... at least I got the DVD I wanted.

That is great news, and glad to hear it.

Good luck, and happy authoring,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 5:45 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Does Adobe have a piece of software that allows you to reach into your monitor and kiss someone?

Cause that wonderful bit of advice you gave about turning off the drive indexing just solved a very frustrating problem that i've been experiencing!

Thankyou Bill!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 6:15 PM   in reply to ShackyC

The "thank you," is more than adequate.

Thank you for posting what worked for you. So many users fail to see the overhead, and ancillary problems with Windows Indexing - until they turn it off.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Why does turning off indexing work? I am doing so at the moment as I am getting the same error message in Encore 5.1

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to Kaberle

Though I understand that Windows Indexing has been greatly improved in recent OS versions, it can "lock" necessary files, while it does its work. With some programs, like Premiere, Encore, After Effects, and some others, unrestricted access to large working files, is necessary. Also, most of those files cannot be Indexed by Windows Indexing, but that does not stop it from trying - often over, and over.

Some of the same problems can happen with active, real-time scanning by anti-virus, anti-malware, and anti-anything programs. Some lock any file, for both reads and writes, and will, at best, time-out the program, trying to read, or write.

When editing Video, I turn OFF all anti-whatever programs, and have zero Internet presences, so I do not work with any e-mails, or browse the Web. I will use one of my other computers, if I need an Internet presence, while editing on another machine, with everything else turned OFF.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - many have found that Encore works best, if one chooses Run As Administrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Well turning off the indexing worked for me but I had a very odd glitch in the transcoding that threw off two videos on the dvd i made.

It seemed to just tweak for a second, then the rest of the video was all off sync and the next one that burned was off as well. what causes that to happen? The videos themselves, when played on the pc, are just fine and in sync.

Just curious. I don't do anything on my pc while it's transcoding either- I turn as much off as I can and shut off some of the processes as well.

So I am curious why I get that sometimes. It's not all the time mind you...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 5:27 AM   in reply to Kaberle

It could be interference from your antivirus. Programs like Norton 360 are also notorious for bugging up intensive apps.

I highly recommend removing programs like Norton 360 and using Microsoft Security Essentials as your one and only antivirus. (Hey, it's not only the most efficient antivirus program out there -- it's also absolutely free!)

A good, thorough antivirus scan as well as a sweep by Spybot S&D might also be in order. I live a pretty chaste life, computerwise -- but I'm amazed how much malware I pick up in my day to day internet work.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 5:47 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Thank you so much, this worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to CoolBlonde

CoolBlonde

Glad the information in this older thread was of help to you. There is a lot of information in this thread. So, it would be helpful to know

a. What version of Premiere Elements you were using and on what computer operating system it was running?

b. What problem did you have?

c. How did you resolve you issue as it relates to what was posted in this thread?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points