Skip navigation
MatthewMusic
Currently Being Moderated

ATI Radeon HD5770 in a Mac Pro?

Jul 29, 2011 12:45 PM

A couple of months ago I upgraded  my Mac Pro (early 2008) with a new graphics card, the ATI Radeon HD5770  (Apple version). It's been working fine on my MP with FCS3 and my system  in general.

A week or two ago I purchased the Master  Collection CS5.5 and I'm starting to work with Premiere Pro. Searching  the Adobe site I just found that my nearly new (made-for-Mac) ATI card  is not supported by Premiere Pro. What does that mean when I use PrP,  After Effects, or any of the other Adobe products?

There are only two Adobe approved video cards sold by Apple. Both are over $1000.

What  kinds of catastrophes should I expect if I continue to use my OpenCL  ATI Radeon HD 5770 card with PrP, AE, or any of the other MC programs?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 29, 2011 1:15 PM   in reply to MatthewMusic
    my nearly new (made-for-Mac) ATI card  is not supported by Premiere Pro.

That's not true. It will work fine.

What does that mean when I use PrP,  After Effects, or any of the other Adobe products?

Doesn't mean anything. Well, it means that...

There are only two Adobe approved video cards sold by Apple. Both are over $1000.

... those two cards provide supported for hardware Mercury Playback Engine acceleration. The Quadro 4000 should be around $750USD.

What  kinds of catastrophes should I expect if I continue to use my OpenCL  ATI Radeon HD 5770 card with PrP, AE, or any of the other MC programs?

None. You won't get hardware acceleration, but the card itself will be fine. If you're using CS5, you'll want to have the 5.0.4 update installed, which resolves some stability issues with Radeon cards on the Mac. If you're using CS5.5, you're good to go.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2011 1:33 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

I've got a 2007 Mac Pro (1.1) and the same card and it works fine with 5.5,

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2011 5:50 AM   in reply to MatthewMusic

CS5.5 is so-so with HD5770 ,  CS5.0  will not work.  I have the same video card and  CS5.0 crashes all the time.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2011 8:26 AM   in reply to vovkinson

>CS5.0  will not work

Which is why the Mac version is now up to 5.0.4 (PC version is at 5.0.3)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2011 8:27 AM   in reply to MatthewMusic

Go to the PPro FAQ List

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/faq_list and read the article that explains CUDA and hardware MPE

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2011 1:29 PM   in reply to MatthewMusic

Hi MatthewMusic - came across your post about the ATI 5770 on a MacPro w/ PP. Do you still have stability?

I have a MP set up w/ the ATI 5770 and cannot use PP w/o it crashing every single time when i quit the app (regardless of how complex the project is).

I've tried PP versions 5.0-5.5.2 with the same results and becoming very disenchanted w/ PP. I really want to use this software, but just cannot seem to get it to work - and I like to think i'm pretty tech savvy...

my specs are:

Model Name:          Mac Pro

Model Identifier:          MacPro5,1

Processor Name:          6-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed:          2.66 GHz

Number of Processors:          2

Total Number of Cores:          12

L2 Cache (per Core):          256 KB

L3 Cache (per Processor):          12 MB

Memory:          64 GB

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model:          ATI Radeon HD 5770

Type:          GPU

VRAM (Total):          1024 MB

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to MatthewMusic

Hi all,

I'd like to know as well if everything works fine with the ATI 5770. I already own an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT and an NVIDIA QUADRO 4000. The two work great with Premiere and After Effects, but since I saw the reccomended specs for DaVinci Resolve (which I'd like to buy) are ATI 5770 as GUI and NVIDIA QUADRO 4000 as GPU, I was thinking of buying the ATI, replace the GeForce and run both DaVinci Resolve and the Adobe Suite with the same configuration.

Do you think it will work?

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points