Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader X- can't select text

Jul 29, 2011 2:09 PM

Hello everyone,

This should be an easy one- all I want to do is select some text/charts from a PDF, and then copy and paste into Word/Paint... I used to be able to do this (with Adobe Reader 9 I think it was), but since I upgraded to X I can't even select text, even if the Select Tool is on. Can anyone help??

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2011 4:52 AM   in reply to scrymied

Are you sure that your file contains actual text, and not images of text? Very frequently, if one cannot select text in a PDF, it's because there is no text there.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2011 3:23 AM   in reply to scrymied

hi,

Here is the procedure to select the text,

right click anywhere and switch from hand tool to select tool,

than select the text you want and copy it. Paste it where you like it to.

I tried this and it works on mine.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2011 8:36 AM   in reply to joph12

Recently I have run across PDF documents that are not an image in the sense that each page is a single image, but rather they are made of lots of individual images, even to the point that each letter is its own image. As such documents are technically not containing text, the text select tool won't work, and this is not an Acrobat issue.

In particular these kind of documents seem to be generated when you print a pop-up window (Ctrl-p, or right-click print) on certain web pages (UPS, for example) from within Google Chrome to PDF.

The easiest way to find out if you happen to have such a document is to open such a document in Acrobat Reader, go to File->Properties, Font tab. You should see that there are no or very few fonts listed, and in particular the fonts you see in the document are not there.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 1:22 AM   in reply to joph12

Thank you so much, joph12! Your solution solved my problem. It was driving me crazy, since it worked on other computers with the same file!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 5:24 PM   in reply to scrymied

To copy and paste selected text in Adobe Reader X:

1. Choose Edit > Take Snapshot

2. Click and drag an area around the  text you want to copy, then release the mouse button.

3. Press Esc to exit Snapshot mode.

4. In another application press Edit > Paste to paste the selected text.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to u.m

I use to be able to open a tax map online (in pdf format), use the select tool to select and highlight the area around the lot I wanted to print and then "print selection" to print only that lot.  Since upgrading to readerX I no longer have the select option.  I understand that it's not text I am trying to select, rather I am trying to highlight and print just a portion of the document open on the page. However, it was something I did rather easily before making the mistake upgrading. 

Is there anyway, now, that I can select which parts of the map I print?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to nlchipman123

I have the same type of issue: my doc is NOT a text doc, yet, before upgrading (I hadn't figured out 'til now that I had even upgraded! oops!) but now I can't select by the same procedure as I did before, which was exactly what Jopf12 describes.

That no longer works, and snapshots take an actual PICTURE, which doesn't allow me to copy & paste TEXT. Is there a way we can UN-Upgrade?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to ECMelton

You can UN-upgrade by de-installing your current Adobe Reader, and then installing an older version. Adobe makes older versions of the reader available at:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

At least with version 9.5 under Windows this will download a downloader that then downloads the actual reader software installer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 4:23 AM   in reply to u.m

thanks very much!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to u.m

I went to the link you recommend, and the oldest ver available seems to be 10.1.4... anyone know where I can find an old enough version, apparently at least as old as 9.5?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to ECMelton

Depends on what operating system you specify. With Windows 8 it only goes back to 10.1.4, while with Windows 7 it goes back to 9.5. I'd suggest you try that.

adobe_get_other_versions.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 12:01 PM   in reply to ECMelton

OldVersion.com has Reader going back to version 3 for Mac and version 1 for Windows

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to u.m

thx! saves wasted time on Acrobat sites!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to Mike M

oh, bless you... saved me much web searching!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points