Skip navigation
Angell EYE
Currently Being Moderated

Can't open PNG files in Photoshop CS5...??

Aug 1, 2011 8:54 AM

I'm seeing lots of threads with this problem but none of them seem to have an answer.

For some reason right now when I try to open a PNG file in Photoshop it just crashes.  I end up with a neverending "hour glass".

I had all of my website project directories on a network share.  As I'm no longer sharing all of these files with an office of people I decided to move all of these project files back to my own local machine.  Ever since I've done that I can't open PNG files in Photoshop anymore.

Any information on what could have caused this, or more importantly, how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2011 9:07 AM   in reply to Angell EYE

I can certainly edit PNGs in general with Photoshop CS5...

Can you share a PNG file with which you are able to make this happen?  I for one would be happy to see if it crashes Photoshop here.  If not, that would isolate it to a problem with your system.

If large, and you don't have your own web server, use a service like YouSendIt.com to send it to yourself, then provide the URL here.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2011 9:08 AM   in reply to Angell EYE

Photoshop it just crashes.  I end up with a neverending "hour glass".

Did you get a crash dialog ("expected termination")?

If it just hung with an hour glass - then it didn't crash, it just hung/froze.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2011 9:22 AM   in reply to Angell EYE

Can you open any other file types?  Or are all opened files causing a freeze?

If the latter, you can try changing your printer to a local device (instead of on the network).

It could also be that you're timing out looking for recently used files on the network (which is really a problem with the network driver code).  Disconnecting from the network server may help.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2011 9:22 AM   in reply to Angell EYE

What happens if you just leave it alone for a long time?  Does it finally open or does it hang forever?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points