Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PrPro No Longer Allows for HD Sequences of MPEG File Import

May 26, 2012 9:00 AM

If you suddenly loose HD Presets or can no longer Import, or work with any form of MPEG Assets, it is likely that your full-paid version of PrPro has been bitten with the "Revert to Trail Bug." This has happened to several users, and is most often the result of updating PrPro. As a quick check, create a New Sequence, and see if you still have all of the HD Presets. It is likely that you do not. This affects anything MPEG, whether HD, or SD, and that is just to quickly see what you have available. Existing Projects might start throwing Media Offline messages, and one will get "Unsupported file formats," when they try to Import MPEG files.

The "fix" is a multi-step operation, and in this order:

1. Deactivate, if possible (probably not, as the trial is not Activated)
  2. Uninstall PrPro
  3. Download and run the Adobe Cleaner Tool (latest version) several times, rebooting between each run.
  4. Install PrPro
  5. Immediately update to the latest version before launching
  6. Launch and test

This Bug has been around from PrPro CS3, and has affected users with CS4 and CS5. As CS5.5 has not had any updates yet, only time will tell if it has been eliminated, or will bite again. The vast majority of users never see it, and the program updates perfectly, but for some, it happens, though seldom with ALL updates - just some. This random nature has proved an issue, when Adobe has tried to correct the issue.

Hope that this helps.

Hunt

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2011 5:18 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Did you mean to post this one in the Premiere Elements forum, Bill?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2011 12:32 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks you for your post. This could be the issue I'm dealing with upgrading from a stable CS4 to a trainwreck with CS5.5. I've uninstalled and re-installed CS5.5 used the Adobe cleaner tool several times. I've called Adobe tech support and followed detailed instuctions several times. My how I've tried to get it right. But while my desktop is fairly stable, my laptop is nothing but a time wasting struggle to find a working solution.

I can't update because PPCS5.5 crashes as it launches, before I can update. What is Adobe doing about this?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi there, I have tried to do as you have said, but after the first clean I can still see a few Adobe 5.0 App's in my App's folder.  After rebooting twice I still can't get Adobe Cleaner Tool to see them in order to do another clean. Just comes up with a blank screen with nothing to select.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

FYI Bill, I had no success with the Adobe cleaner tool. It is not good at cleaning up much of anything. It is a joke.  Adobe's tech support has some additional procedures that might help but they did not fix my problem when I updated from CS4 to CS5.5.  Matrox tech support had a solution that worked but in volved editing the registry. My strongly advise you to format your drive or buy a new drive and start from a clean build.  If this is not possible, I've documented the long and conveluted procedures to possibly fix your problem, or not in on other strings in Adobe forum and in Creative Cow Adobe Premiere forum. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 11:43 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

It was not the Matrox drivers that caused the problem.  It was the update from CS4 to CS5.5. Many others had similar problems. Without the Matrox drivers the software had serious issues. Matrox tech support was way more capable than Adobe’s and they were able to provide a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

You have no reason to be sorry but I would like to have a few word with the Adobe developers that created the nightmare. 

DOCUMENT the procedures!  TRAIN tech support!  Who knew about using several reboots? Why was it not documented.  You caused a huge amount a frustration!  Before I updated I researched procedures even asked Adobe on the phone and at NAB.  I should have listened to a few people in the forums that recommended a clean install on a new drive.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)