Skip navigation
JustinofSLC2
Currently Being Moderated

Error message: Please upgrade your plug-ins to their latest version...

Aug 4, 2011 6:32 PM

Okay,  I'm new.  I don't think I've ever installed plug-ins but apparently I need to update them.  Can anyone direct me to instructions?  I'm running InDesign CS4 6.0.6

Much Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2011 7:23 PM   in reply to JustinofSLC2

What plug-ins? Show a screen shot of the error message? Are you, perhaps, trying to open an InDesign file created by a later version of InDesign?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2011 10:16 PM   in reply to JustinofSLC2

To amplify Scott's answer, a CS5 or CS5.5 file will report "missing plugins" if opened in CS4.

You'll need to ask the originator to export the file as IDML in order for you to read it, and it's possible there may be text reflow or other problems if CS5 or CS5.5 features are used.

This is a very bad error message -- it doesn't say what it means. Known problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 8:32 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

App version: CS4 6.0.6

OS X: 10.6.8

I have encountered the same error message just today and 19 Plug-ins were listed in the "Cannot Open" dialogue box when attempting to open a File.

While awaiting response from File originator on the InDesign version used, my question is whether a Plug-in in question, for example:

"Assignments.IndesignPlugIn"

does not really exist in CS4, but "Assignment UI.InDesignPlugin" does, under

(USER) > Applications > Adobe InDesign CS4 > Plug-Ins > InCopyWorkFlow > Assignment UI.InDesignPlugin

Or,

• is there a place to download such (and other 18 Plug-Ins asked for in Error Dialogue Box) separate from CS4 6.0.6 upgrade patch to fix error?

• does it, on the other hand, confirm that the File in question asking for those Plug-ins was created on a higher InDesign version and that I should ask for an .inx / IDML file instead?

Thank you.

Just for the record, the following Plug-Ins were asked for, arr. alphabetically:

Assignments.IndesignPlugIn

CJKGrid.IndesignPlugIn

Document Framework.IndesignPlugIn

Dynamic Documenst.IndesignPlugIn

FormField.IndesignPlugIn

FontManager.IndesignPlugIn

Generic Page Item.IndesignPlugIn

Graphics.IndesignPlugIn

Group.IndesignPlugIn

InCopy Shared.IndesignPlugIn

Master Page.IndesignPlugIn

Path Type.IndesignPlugIn

Scripting.IndesignPlugIn

Spread.IndesignPlugIn

Spline.IndesignPlugIn

Table Model.IndesignPlugIn

Text Attributes.IndesignPlugIn

Text.IndesignPlugIn

Message was edited by: krvilla

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 10:55 PM   in reply to krvilla

Yes, they need to export the file as Idml for you to open it. Adding the plugins from a later version will not work.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 11:04 PM   in reply to MW Design

Thank you. Small but informative, helpful info (emphasis mine):

MW Design wrote:

Yes, they need to export the file as Idml for you to open it. Adding the plugins from a later version will not work.

I just got a reply and the FIle indeed was created on InDesign CS5 and I've requested for an updated one saved as IDML.

Much appreciated. Cheers ~

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points