Skip navigation
tricia4523
Currently Being Moderated

How to eliminate the fine line in between of tile when i create a seamless pattern from swatch?

Aug 6, 2011 11:49 AM

hello

Need help of this. I have created polka dots or even more complicated pattern in previous version illustrator. They are perfect. When i migrated to the CS5, the exactly same pattern always have a fine line in between the pattern swatches. After i export the artwork to jpg in 300dpi, they are still there. This drives me crazy!!

this is the swatch i use

Screen Shot 2011-08-07 at 2.36.40 AM.png

this is the pattern i created,

Screen Shot 2011-08-07 at 2.35.25 AM.png

need help on eleminating those lines.

thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2011 12:02 PM   in reply to tricia4523

Migrating means exactly what?

Did you just open the file in CS5? Or did you re-create the pattern?

Is thsi an RGB-document? Is "Align to pixel grid" turned on?

What happens if you de-activate antialiasing of artwork?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2011 1:26 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

Are the polka dots white or hollow? If white, add a second fill to the object, move it below the pattern fill in the Appearance panel and set it to white (or whatever color you expect the dots to be.

You could also turn off anti-aliasing in the preferences, but that may have other undesired effects.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2011 5:18 PM   in reply to tricia4523

Just so you realize it, you can make exactly the same pattern with a single white dot on a black background.

Rotate the pattern by 45° to get the staggered effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2011 2:34 AM   in reply to tricia4523

I did this with a pattern swatch of one white dot on a brown square (see top).

Then rotated the pattern to get the 45 degree look.

No visible joins anywhere. And even if there were I suspect that they would only be screen artifacts that would not print. At least, I have never had any trouble with those lines that sometimes appear in patterns.

polka.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2011 5:12 AM   in reply to tricia4523
    I create the white shape first, then i put a brown box align exactly at the corner and put underneath the white shapes.

In CS5, make sure the infernal Align To Pixel Grid feature (default) is turned off.

Then, describe exactly, step-by-step, what you did to create the pattern. Don't leave out any steps.

Your first screenshot of the pattern artwork actually shows a hairline stroke. If you involved Pathfinders in order to create the quarter-circle shapes, you may have in fact created hairline strokes, depending upon the exact steps you used. Bugs in some of Illustrator's Pathfinder operations result in hairline strokes (stroke weight of zero), which is not even supposed to be allowed in Illustrator.

Drag the Pattern Swatch out of the Swatches palette and drop it on the artboard. Ungroup it completely. Select the individual objects one at a time, checking the Stroke palette to see if any of the objects have a stroke weight of zero (as opposed to empty).

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2011 10:03 AM   in reply to tricia4523
    where is the align to pixel grid feature? can't find that.

Align to Pixel Grid is described in the documentation.

I can reproduce the problem in both CS5 and CS3.

Turn off the Anti-aliased Artwork option in Illustrator's General Preferences. Turn on the desired antialising method in the JPEG export dialog.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2011 11:07 AM   in reply to tricia4523
    thanks for the tips on making dots and rotate at 45 degree. that help for the polka dot pattern. However, i am also creating other complex patterns.

Rotating the Pattern independently from the object should be a huge help to you in creating other complex patterns; it allows you to stagger the rows without a bunch of tedious cutting or needless masking. You might also consider adding the background color as a separate object fill, rather than making it part of the pattern artwork.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 9:44 PM   in reply to JETalmage

I've been having this same issue! I have seen it happen even when I use a "placed image" JPG turned into a pattern swatch. Unfortunately it DOES print out, at least in the high-end digital offset printing I'm using.

See my attached screenshot. I put the pattern next to each one so you can see. Same as what Tricia said, the alignment is PERFECT -- it isn't an issue with the vectors being improperly aligned or different sizes. I have checked their exact size, alignment, and triple-checked in outline mode to make sure they are lined up exactly.

JET, I don't completely understand what you are doing... would you be willing to explain further? I have some complex fabric patterns which I've been creating (way more complex than these polka dots and stripes) and I'm concerned about it. Actually I'll attach a sample of that too.

I tried turning off the anti-aliasing and gosh it looks so pixelated and icky I don't think I could work like that and I'm a little scared to print with that setting turned off?!

Screen shot 2011-08-31 at 12.29.36 AM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-31 at 12.41.48 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 7:44 AM   in reply to tricia4523

I'm running into this EXACT issue, and really, really, really need a solution. Is there a solution that works?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to tricia4523

I think I found a solution, or at least a workaround.

I made a pattern with Illustrator that showed this annoying hairlines. Then, instead of copy+paste as Smart Object inside Photoshop (where I get the hairlines anyway, and it prints out!) I export my illustration as PSD , choosing not anti-aliasing in the exporting options. Then I use File > Place... inside Photoshop and the pattern appears without hairlines.

Hope it helps!

Ignacio

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 11:45 PM   in reply to justjodi2012

I am also having the same problem. I have tried all the remedies except the export remedy. I produce illustrations and patterns to sell on products and stock sites and I can't sell the patterns because they show up like this on the product as well as previews.

Jees can someone from Adobe step in and give us an answer? It is obvious this is a problem for many people.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 11:46 PM   in reply to heidehibbard

I am using cs5

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 11:22 AM   in reply to heidehibbard

Those fine-line tiling artifacts will often persist when you export a .jpeg or png with anti aliasing set to "type-optimized" or "none," so check "art-optimized" anti-aliasing when you export. Also, in a high quality tiff export you won't see them.

Technically, if they are merely tiling artifacts (and not a problem with the repeat), they won't print. So that's one way to check if the lines are just an artifact in the screen display of the pattern, or something intrinsic to the art. Another way to check is to zoom in and out on the art - if the lines dissappear at some zoom levels, then they are likely tiling artifacts.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to coyleart

although this is the illustrator section of the forums, i was wondering if anyone would know how to eliminate the same lines but in photoshop cs6?

im experiencing the same problem, occassionally in photoshop there are lines between the tiles once they have been repeated and cant figure out how to fix it!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points