• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

update help.

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im making a Iphone app, going well looks great, cant wait to publish it. But i have one small question.

I know i can update the app via xml, which is fine i know its possible and i know how to make actionscript display data from a external xml.

But once the app is on the app store how can it get data from xml how will i keep updating it?????

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

var myXML:XML;
      var myLoader:URLLoader = new URLLoader();
      myLoader.load(new URLRequest("https://rapidshare.com/files/1684039830/updates.xml"));
      myLoader.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, processXML);
      function processXML(e:Event):void {
myXML = new XML(e.target.data);
        trace(myXML.*);
}

I'm not sure whether the rapidshare will work because they give the file to download. Test on desktop first then goto ipad.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can update the xml data if you not attached while packaging, instead you should keep your xml in the server and load the xml using the urlloader from your server. Anytime you can update it because your main app already compiled to read those xml while packaging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so upload the xml onto a sever? then call the xml from the server using a URLLoader Event?

Great, which server should i use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant it something like below:

"http://www.mydomain.com/xml/fetchdata.xml"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ooooooooh, i dont want to display xml data from a website i mean like, on a app, say i have a updates page, with my social events ect (just a examle) i want to display that, then be able to update it regulary...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you dont have any hosting server, then there is no way to update your xml . Otherwise you need to update your xml and package it again, if you want to use as an attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah well i could put it onto a websites server i guess, but is there no other way?? if i put it onto a file hosting site and then call it from there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, thats a much better idea. do it that way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

allright then thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok so found a new problem, there are many free file hosting sites, which is great but then everytime i would edit the xml, it would make a new file on the hosting site would it not? which means the as3 couldn't display it because i cannot edit the as3 whilst on the app store. So i think i found a solution, xml hosting but they say its for websites.... so then would it work???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as already suggested just get your own server, thats all a file hosting site is. But you will have complete control over file names, folders, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a quick google...

have a look at this http://www.000webhost.com/

seems completely free if you arent fussy about the domain name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for that, but the thing is, its not for a website.. Im developing a IPhone app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure you are getting the distinction

a 'website' is just a server with a file called index.html that opens when you visit the domain with a browser

but you can put other files on it, its just a remote hard drive that can be accessed outside your house.

so www.yourdomain.com would open the 'website'

but www.yourdomain.com/myappdata.xml would be the data for your iphone app

so just ignore the 'website' aspect of it and just use it to host your app data

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oooooooooh ok thanks, i thought so, that was very helpfull though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i put it onto rapidshare, because i think it works well, how would i call it in actionscript if the url is: https://rapidshare.com/files/1684039830/updates.xml

URLLoader = new URL... whats the code i need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

var myXML:XML;
      var myLoader:URLLoader = new URLLoader();
      myLoader.load(new URLRequest("https://rapidshare.com/files/1684039830/updates.xml"));
      myLoader.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, processXML);
      function processXML(e:Event):void {
myXML = new XML(e.target.data);
        trace(myXML.*);
}

I'm not sure whether the rapidshare will work because they give the file to download. Test on desktop first then goto ipad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

which server?

your server

if you dont have one then then google it. There are plenty of free servers that even have php and mysql installed. You might have a banner or advert but that wont matter if you only use it to host data for transfering to flex, it will never be seen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines