• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using the Quiz Review functionality in Captivate 5

Participant ,
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’d like to have a more robust question review in the Captivate 5 quiz I have.

In previous versions of Captivate I could create a quiz, then in the quiz settings click the “Allow user to review quiz” to allow for more robust question review information.

I would then, in each question, double-click (or get properties) for each individual question review area and craft a response. Generally pointing the student to the lesson and slides they need to review in order to get the correct answer for the question.

Can you do this in Captivate 5? All I can see/access is the global review area response which affects all question review areas equally.

Thank you,

TPK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Are you sure? If my memory is OK, since I started to use Captivate with version 1, the Review functionality has always been the same: you have standard Review messages that can be rephrased and the only invidual difference in those messages is for the Incorrect Review, where the answer given by the user as well as the correct answer were indicated.

You can create individual Success/Failure captions, but those do not show up during review, but on each question slide after submitting.

If you want similar effect during review, you'll have to tweak. I have been trying to explain possible work flows for CP5 and CP5.5 in this blog post:

Customise Review messages

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Thank you for your response. You are correct. I was mistaken. There is a place in the Review area for "The correct answer is:", but it is global like you mentioned. I may have been remembering Articulate QuizMaker or and HTML/XML driven quiz.

I seem to remember that in Captivate 2 and 3 I could use failure response and captions to craft individual failure options. For example, for an individual question the failure caption for answer "B" might be "review slides 2 - 3" and failure caption for answer "C" might be "review slides 5 - 6". In Captivate 4 and 5 it appears that this functionality has changed. The failure responses can't be tied to specific captions.

In Captivate 3 I could also use the Advanced Answer option with a "go to slide" behavior and loop back to the same slide. In Captivate 5 I am unable to loop back to the same slide, I can go to the slide before (last visited or jump another slide by number), but not the same slide. For example, on question slide 2 answer wrong, get an advanced failure caption, then when the students clicks question slide 2 reloads and they are able to answer the question a 2nd time.

Captivate 5 has an "Advanced Actions" under Project where the developer might be able to variables to achieve the loop back functionality, but I am not very familiar with this feature.

So it appears I have to go back to using failure captions and re-engineer the questions and responses to fit the functionality. I will look at your linked information.

Thank you again for your response.

TPK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Advanced Answers still exist in Captivate 5 for MCQ questions with one correct answer. Set the number of Failure levels higher than 1 and you'll get as many Failure Text Captions for the different levels, that you can edit to give a different feedback depending on the failure level.

I do not understand quite well your remark about 'loop to...'. If you have multiple attempts on question level, the user will automatically remain on that slide until he answers correctly or exhausted his attempts. But only if set on Question level, in the Quiz Properties panel for that question.

If you want more control, indeed the way to go is with Advanced actions that appeared with Captivate 4. I have been blogging quite a lot about them. Here is one link:

Customize your Quiz using Advanced actions

I really do not think there is less functionality in CP5 than before, but you have to adapt the work flow.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Thank you for your response. Here is what I meant when I referred to "loop back"....

It might be better phrased by saying that in Captivate 3 I could use the "go to slide" behavior to "jump to" the same slide I am on. This basically reloads the slide. So, if  (in Captivate 3) I am on slide 6 (which is a multiple choice question) and I am in the Advanced answer menu and I select "jump to slide" I might see:

slide 1

slide 2

slide 3

slide 4

slide 5

slide 6

slide 7

slide 8

And, if I want to, I can select the slide I am on (in this example, slide 6). From the student point of view, when they select this wrong answer, then click to advance, slide 6 reloads.

In Captivate 5, when I select Advanced answer and use "jump to slide", this is what I see:

slide 1

slide 2

slide 3

slide 4

slide 5

slide 7

slide 8

There is no option to "jump to" the slide that I am on (in this case, slide 6). (It looks like in Advanced Actions I might be able to pull this trick off, but I am uncertain as to how to use the controls and haven't the time to do a lot of tests.)

You are correct about the work flow. It is difficult for me to change my work flow habits. It seems to take me longer to set the slide items and their characteristics, but I do see the potential in Captivate 5 and overall I like the stability and functionality. Adapting to the (very) different workflow while producing content for a demanding department is a challenge. I'll get used to it over time.

Thank you for your response and the linked information.

TPK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again,

My latest blog post was about Micro-Navigation: http://lilybiri.posterous.com/micro-navigation-in-adobe-captivate  There I explain navigation with frames. But perhaps this simpler solution will work as well:

Create this small advanced action to assign instead of a navigation perhaps it will work to go to the present slide:

Assign cpCmndGotoSlide with rdinfoCurrentSlide

Continue

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources