Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Renaming A Sequence

Aug 10, 2011 9:53 AM

If I have embedded sequences and I rename one of them, I see it change in the project panel, but wherever it's nested it retains the old name.  How can I get it to propagate the name change wherever it's used in the project sequences?

I know I can rename the sequence on the timeline, but why can't I rename it once in the project panel and have it spread its new name wherever used?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2011 10:04 AM   in reply to Toomany3

Historically, Renaming has had two "faces." If one has not used the Asset yet, a Rename in the Project Panel will apply to all uses later on. However, if an Asset has been used, say a Clip, or a Nested Sequence, Renaming in the Project Panel will ONLY apply to future uses, and previous uses retain the original name. Now, one could then manually Rename those Assets, that have been used, but the Rename did not affect them. My guess is that this is what you are referring to. If so, it all depends on the timing of the Rename, and whether the Asset(s) had been used yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 10:34 AM   in reply to Toomany3

Yes, if history holds. I have not read of, nor encountered a functional change to that behavior, but perhaps something neat has been added. If so, I have not found it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 5:55 PM   in reply to Toomany3

I know I can rename the sequence on the timeline, but why can't I rename it once in the project panel and have it spread its new name wherever used?

C'mon, man--get outta my head

Seriously, this is a MAJOR gripe of mine--that, and we don't have the option of naming a nested sequence when we create it with the Nest command. Double those up and you've a big ol' slice of unorganized pie. I've obviously made feature requests to this end... and you should too!

Present workaround for this issue: after renaming the sequence in the bin, I Alt+Shift drag the renamed instance to the originally-named instance. This replaces that nested sequence, match framing it, and changing the name--actually, that's all that changes. You can use the little locator dropdown in the info area of the Project panel to quickly navigate to any instance of that sequence that is already in use. It ain't perfect, but it makes things a little bit better.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 5:58 PM   in reply to cmbrougham

Hrm... apparently, my alter ego decided to run amok.

He did offer some brilliant advice, though...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 8:35 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Colin,

Put the mouse down, and go look in the mirror. Who do you see?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 8:38 PM   in reply to cmbrougham

I do not need Nested Sequences all that often, but I have butted up against this for some years, and have filed the Feature Requests, to make a Rename retro-active to any use of an Asset. I probably see it most often with Titles, and other graphics, and hate having to go into the Sequences, and manually Rename.

Hunt

PS - that alter-ego DOES have good comments. Maybe we keep him around?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points