• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page flow stopped

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2011 Aug 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been editing a chapter for three days with no problems, and out of the blue, the page flow stopped, and I can't get the paragraphs to advance to the next page. I have tried the following things:

• checking to make sure the current and next pages have the same flow. (They do.)
  • saving and closing the file, exiting FrameMaker, and restarting my computer
  • using a different paragraph tag
  • turning off track text edits and attempting to advance to the next page with unmarked text
  • entering preview mode with track text edits turned off

I have the following set up:

• FrameMaker 9.0p237
  • Windows 7 64bit
  • A very robust computer
  • A client with an insane deadline

Please help!

Thanks,

Karen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Great sleuthing, Karen!  Each table footnote has its own individual text flow, so at some point content got added within the footnote flow. I always work with text symbols showing for this very reason, that there's a little less chance of inadvertently getting content in the wrong flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what it looks like:

ScreenShot00040.jpg

Also tried saving as a .mif and adding a disconnected page then connecting it. Nothing has worked so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen, as you're on a deadline I'd suggest that it's easier to resurrect the file by creating a new file rather than troubleshooting what went wrong with the current file.

1. save your current file as-is, so that you're sure you have both the content that you've entered and the formatting. Personally I'd also do a second backup copy of the problem file with a different name, e.g. xxBAD or something.

2. create a brand new FM file. With both documents open, in the new file do File > Import > Formats, and select the "old" file in the drop-down menu. Then select which will copy all the master pages and paratags etc. over to your new file. Save this new file with a different name, "xxNew". Be sure to note what settings you've selected on the bottom section "While updating remove", so that if you need to you can re-do the import and change these settings. The initial selection depends on how many style overrides you might have used (if any) in the original document.

3. In the xxNew file, put your cursor in the text frame at the top of the first (and so far only) page.  Then do File > Import > File. Choose the xxOld file. At the bottom of the dialog be sure to select "copy into document". This will copy the content from the other file into the xxNew file.

In the "Import text flow" dialog that pops up, choose the Body page flow and the default "A (Main Flow)". Because you've already imported the formats you could use either the default "Reformat Using current document's formats" or the bottom "Retain Source's Formatting" -- the choice depends a lot on whether you have ad hoc formatting in your original document, e.g. highlighted words and just clicked "Bold" from the menu, as opposed to using a character style called "Bold", or changed the alignment of a paragraph but not made a new paragraph tag for that different alignment, both of those examples are of overrides. If you have used a lot of overrides then I would suggest using "Retain source's formatting".

4. In the xxNew file, page to the end of the document. Put your cursor before the "end of flow" symbol,

EndOfFlowSymbol.PNG

Start typing, enter a few carriage returns, whatever, to be sure that when you reach the end of the page that FM will automatically add a new page and your typing does extend forward onto the next page as you expect.

Assuming things are ok, then save this xxNew file as the original filename.

That should get you back to operation, and you can work out what went wrong with the original file once the deadline has passed.

Sheila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheila's advice is sound. But when you have time to track things down see if you could have created a disconnected page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this, and it does look like there is a disconnected page. because there is another end of flow symbol on the next page in the new document after I import the old document, but when I try to connect the text frames, it says they are already connected.

ScreenShot00041.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.... it does look like there is a disconnected page.

You might check the Reference Page "MasterPageMaps", and verify that none of the paragraph formats in use are being assigned by the mapping table to a disconnected Master Page.

Then perform a Format > Page Layout > Apply Master Pages.

That should toss all the content back into a normal Left/Right flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I found the problem. I started copying and pasting the file into a new file. The culprit was a table footnote. It somehow hijacked all the text underneath it. When I removed the footnote, all the paragraphs under the footnote disappeared. (I clicked undo and then copied the text into notepad so I wouldn't have to retype it.) it was the page after the footnote that would not advance.

Thanks for your help!

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great sleuthing, Karen!  Each table footnote has its own individual text flow, so at some point content got added within the footnote flow. I always work with text symbols showing for this very reason, that there's a little less chance of inadvertently getting content in the wrong flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sheila,

I wasn't aware that footnotes have their own text flow. (That would have saved me a few hours, knowing that table was lurking right above! Of course, you didn't know that.)

You can bet I won't ever forget that factoid!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines