I'm trying to figure out why PageMaker keeps running into a wall when trying to export a pdf. I continue to get the error message: "Adobe PDF Settings" turn off the option "Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts." I've searched through all the settings I can find in PageMaker and I don't see a single one called "Rely on system fonts...". I've tried going into Devices and Printers in Windows 7 and there is no Adobe PDF printer listed despite the fact that the latest Adobe Masters Collection is installed along with Acrobat Reader. Therefore I don't get where this setting is suppose to be. Can anyone help me out here?
There is a solution! You actually go to your "Printers and Faxes" (under the start menu if in Windows.) Then you choose "Acrobat Distiller" properties (by right clicking on Acrobat Distiller from the "printers and faxes" window), then "Printing Preferences" then "Adobe PDF" tab to change settings. You will see a checkbox that is probably checked for "Do Not Send Fonts to Distiller." You can uncheck that and look at any other settings you might want to change at this point before you save and exit out of this window.
You see, the "Export PDF" command in PDF relies on that Distiller setup in your "printers and faxes" window. Making a PDF is really generated through the print feature. And exporting directly from Pagemaker to PDF makes a shotty PDF, unless you are only using it for viewing (if you are using to have it printed anywhere, you wouldn't want to rely on those results). The best method is to make a postscript first by choosing File, Print, and then choosing Acrobat Distiller instead to print a postscript to a certain location, and THEN you would tell that postscript to open in your Acrobat Distiller (where you have set up your job settings as you would like the PDF quality to be).
It seems like everytime an Acrobat update happens, it wipes out the setting in the print setup windows of Acrobat Distiller and Adobe PDF. I have to go back and change these to how I like them when I notice this problem.
I actually have more tricks for successfully exporting PDF's directly out of Pagemaker, so if you want them, let me know! It's a little work intensive after another inevitable Acrobat update, but it's worth it for what I have to do--- and if you want to be sure those PDF's embed the fonts!
Hope that helps!
FYI, this is a general issue--not just with PageMaker but also Adobe Acrobat right through Adobe Acrobat XI Pro. The issue is that Acrobat chokes converting Calibri in URLs, the default font for Word 2010 and beyond.
I just experienced this issue upgrading to Adobe Acrobat XI Pro so this is very helpful. Hopefully the references to other prouducts will help get this picked up.
This thread is also helpful because 1) it illustrates (for the millionth time) that Adobe Acrobat needs to be retired and rebuilt from scratch and 2) Adobe's pattern of asking you to upgrade to avoid bad software design (illustrated perfectly by Bob's non-help above) is unfair and anti-consumer.
Thank you again, kellir-nd!
Re: the million complaints, no--I'm sure there aren't a million lodged. But I'm sure we could document 50,000 complaints about failed plugins, bloated software, too frequent updates, strange error messages on load, features that switch on/off. Just with Acrobat. Probably just on the Adobe board alone. Like polling, I think you could project out to a million from that--because "I haven't heard a million suggestions" doesn't mean there aren't a million customers grinding their teeth with a billion instances of failure.
Re: the upgrade cycle, of course companies like you to upgrade. But that doesn't excuse them from adding new features/tweaks while grandfathering in bugs. Like the bug discussed here, which actually has nothing to do with PageMaker. Because it's the same one discussed here in 2009: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1880784. And it's the same one I'm experiencing now with Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.
And the issue for me (and in the 2009 post) is a conflict between Acrobat and the Calibri font--which is the default font for Word since 2007. (All Ben needed to do was Google the error message posted by this poor ******* who's stuck using PageMaker--he may have even found this post: http://blog.rockymountaintraining.com/?p=2551.)
Six years later, here this bug still is. A bug that is pure Adobe--based on how Adobe products interact with the operating system. I cringe at how many PDFs I've sent out to clients that included unusable links (it would be nice to be as confident as you are that not hearing complaints means there haven't been any).
And a person cannot upgrade out of this kind of bug without upgrading out of Adobe.
I'll repeat myself here, Don't use open type fonts with Pagemaker. Pagemaker may seem to be able to load Calibri, but it can only access the first 256 characters, and may cause problems on printing/pdf creation. Stick to the older true type and postscript fonts.
From the PM FAQs over ten years ago:
12:03pm May 17, 02 PST
OpenType or Unicode is the latest development in fonts.
They allow an enormous number of characters within a single font and are advantageous for typesetting in foreign languages that can comprise many more glyphs than a 255-character ANSI set can contain. They also allow the inclusion of traditional typographic features like small caps, text figures, ligatures, etc.
As cool as all that is, you won't be able to take advantage of these extended character sets with PageMaker.
There is currently no support for OpenType for PageMaker.
While you can still access the standard 255 ANSI character set within the OpenType font, you will not be able to use the extended glyph set. You'll have to move to InDesign to take full advantage of OpenType fonts.