Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Error: Making this change would require changing code that is locked....

Aug 18, 2011 6:48 PM

DWCS3

Rebuilding site -- I know this is a common problem, but what are the steps to resolve it?

Error: "Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator.  The change will be discarded."

Click OK and the change is made anyway, oftentimes resulting in loss of document CSS and dynamic code, which is then unretrievable. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!!

There is another code at the top of all documents using the template:

"<!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/index.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->"

However, this line has always been in my previous documents and created no problem.

The oddest thing is, I can be in an editable region of a document, click on an image to edit in Fireworks, edit, click DONE and it comes back in DW with that error. ???

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2011 7:57 PM   in reply to christinett

You haven't told us whether your pages were created using a template and that you are trying to edit the template when you get this error.  Please post an expurgated version of your code for people to see what is the status of your code that is causing the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2011 4:07 AM   in reply to christinett

Error: "Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator.  The change will be discarded."

This message is often a red herring.  It usually means "oops, I have found an error on your page".  It may actually have NOTHING to do with editable or non-editable regions, and may in fact even refer to a CSS error rather than an HTML error.  The first stop is the validator - does this page validate?

Click OK and the change is made anyway, oftentimes resulting in loss of document CSS and dynamic code, which is then unretrievable. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!!

This error message itself does not do this. We need to understand what error triggered it to understand what is happening further.

There is another code at the top of all documents using the template:

"<!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/index.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->"

However, this line has always been in my previous documents and created no problem.

That line is normal and should be present in all template child pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2011 9:48 AM   in reply to christinett

How many templates do you have?  This is all from one site, right?  How many total pages are there in the site?

Would it be possible to see the code on the offending template page, and to know what changes you made to trigger the red-herring alert?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2011 9:06 AM   in reply to christinett

Are you using DMX (6.0) for this work?  If so, please update it to version 6.1 using the updater on the Adobe site.  There were a number of problems with 6.0 that could be causing issues such as this....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points