Skip navigation
appdata
Currently Being Moderated

Error 1606 - Could not access network location '%appdata%\'

Aug 19, 2011 5:43 AM

When I download the latest version of Adobe Reader, I get two messages.  Error 1606: Could not access network location '%appdata%\' and also 'Installation successful.  You are now running Adobe Reader x(10.1.0)'.  Unfortunately, I can't open any PDF files.

I've followed the steps in KB886549 and all the registry entries listed there are correct.  That article only seems to apply to problems with Microsoft products, not with Adobe problems.

I'm using Windows Vista, SP2.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 19, 2011 6:55 PM   in reply to appdata

appdata wrote:

I get two messages.  Error 1606: Could not access network location '%appdata%\' and also 'Installation successful.  You are now running Adobe Reader x(10.1.0)'.

That is very confusing...

Is your %USERPROFILE% correctly set?  KB886549 is really the solution for any 1606 errors.

appdata wrote:

I can't open any PDF files.

What does that mean - what happens when you try?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2011 8:39 PM   in reply to appdata

Almost all applications use some of these environment variables, not only Microsoft products.

If you cannot find it in the Programs list in Control Panel, then Adobe Reader is not installed on your system.

I suggest that you download the installer from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/ and try the install again.  Do you still get that error?

If yes, open Windows Explorer and type %appdata% in the address bar; where does it take you when you press Enter?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2011 6:47 PM   in reply to appdata

I am trying to resolve the same issue and hope this discussion sheds light on it. I've searched the forums and tried most of the obvious suggestions, e.g. resetting to an earlier system restore point (tried two actually), the MS kb/886549 fix and I've tried backing up the registry and deleting the hkey/localmachine/software/microsoft/office key. Those fixes have unfortunately not worked on this system.

The machine is running Win 7 Home Premium

There is a trial version of MS Office still installed which seems to be having it's own registry related issues now that I look at it...

any other details that would be helpful?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2011 5:13 PM   in reply to GadflyDan

Just wanted to follow up on my experience with this error. Since my last post I had not had a chance to work on the computer in question; I sat down this afternoon to see if I could get anywhere with it and for some reason it allowed me to completely install the Adobe Reader update without causing the 1606 "cannot access %appdata%" message. Wish I knew why it worked this time but thought I should post the conclusion to my issue.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points