Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

DW CS5 Mac:  how to cancel a ---l-o-n-g--- operation

Aug 20, 2011 12:23 PM

Folks:

Not me, but my clumsy fingers started a site-wide operation  I didn't intend just now.

In this case, I installed the "old" validator and I accidentally asked for site-wide validation, but it could be, say, a site-wide search-and-replace.   I've got a lot of files in my site directory tree, and DW is finding a bunch of prospective material lying around that generates lots of errors and takes a lot of processing.

Is there a way to tell DW, "no, never mind, stop that now"  short of doing an OS force-quit?

(Writing this distracted me long enough for the process to conclude, so the workaround might be as simple as:  "Get distracted for a while."   But there might be a better way, less disruptive of the workflow.)

TIA,

hen3ry

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2011 3:53 PM   in reply to hen3ry

In Windows:

Sometimes CTRL+Break does the trick;  Sometime CTRL+C does the trick.  If all fails then the best thing is to logoff from that account so that the system will stop all running processes.

Your MAC should have something similar.  Now you know why a PC is far better than a MAC.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2011 4:09 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

JTANNA wrote:

In Windows:

Sometimes CTRL+Break does the trick;  Sometime CTRL+C does the trick.  If all fails then the best thing is to logoff from that account so that the system will stop all running processes.

Your MAC should have something similar.  Now you know why a PC is far better than a MAC.

That's the stupid thing I've ever heard, or it might not be but it's pretty close.  Ctrl+C is a command prompt break, and neither would even stop a frozen PC application.  On the Mac you can click and hold or opt+click the application icon in the tray and force quit or CMD+Opt+Esc.

But short of an OS force quit there is nothing you can do.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2011 4:17 PM   in reply to SnakEyez02

SnakEyez02 wrote:

That's the stupid thing I've ever heard, or it might not be but it's pretty close.  Ctrl+C is a command prompt break, and neither would even stop a frozen PC application.  On the Mac you can click and hold or opt+click the application icon in the tray and force quit or CMD+Opt+Esc.

But short of an OS force quit there is nothing you can do.

Which part is the "stupid thing you've ever heard"?  Is it CTRL+Brieak or CTRL+C?  Or was it logging off and logging on also stupid?

I just tried tried to run a dummy program (an academic program that generates long prime numbers) and I stopped it using CTRL+BREAK and Also CTRL+C.  I couldn't try logging off and logging on because my machine isn't that fast to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2011 4:53 PM   in reply to hen3ry

hen3ry wrote:

Maybe it would help if I re-asked the question in different terms: 

a) Does DW5 on MacOS monitor the user interface for a "cancel current operation" input?  If so, what is it?

b) Is there any alternative to "Force Quit" to cancel a "long" operation?

a) No

b) No

hth

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 10:48 PM   in reply to hen3ry

Yes, CS5 does have this feature.

For changing links sitewide, when it prompts if you want to update links and when you hit OK, you will have a 'Stop' button to stop the process.

Same for validation:

Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 12.15.25 PM.png

Just below 'Check links' (Green Play icon) is the 'Stop' button to stop the process.

-ST

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points