Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

blank pages not deleted

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2011 Aug 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Am working on a FM 7.2 structured document. The history of this file: a document that I deleted all the irrelvent content and then added the new content.

The setting for Pagination is Before Saving & Printing > Delete Empty Pages.

The content fills 56 pages and from then onwards to page 113 there are blank pages that I can't figure out how to delete.

(The computer is Windows XP Pro. SP3 )

Would greatly appreciate advice on how to deal with this issue.

Donna

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the first blank page. Then in the Special menu, select Delete Pages. I have noticed that if you are not using the standard Left/Right master pages, Frame does not always delete blank pages; then you have to delete them manually.

But before you do, make sure there is REALLY NOTHING on those pages. Save a backup just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem in some customer projects with FM 7.x, and still have also in FM 9. The problem is weird, after opening XML source as book to Frame w/o automatic apply templates, the empty pages do not get generated to book component. After applying master pages (using rules in StructMasterPageMaps in template's reference pages) the empty pages (due to changed master page layout) appear . The only way to get rid of them is manual delete as van Kurtz says.

I haven't found any reason to this. It look to happen when these rules use "Until changed" in range indicator and the layout is double sided using more than one column in page layout. But not always.., I have other projects (different dtd/schema, different layout) working ok.

In single column layouts I have not had this issue.

The number of  empty pages generated/left seems to have no logic. I have a book component that after opening is 197 pages long. After applying master pages, the content fits to 107 pages, but the empty pages don't disappear during save/open regardless of the pagination settings in book component. In this case I have 1,5 column layout (side heads), where tables spans over sidehead area. Frame complains about too narrow area for tables 1. time after applying master pages, but not when doing it again. After manually deleting the empty pages they don't reappear again after apply masterpages, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2011 Aug 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Van hi,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Followed your advice, but am getting this message:

"Cannot delete pages. They contain structured flows connected to other pages."  --Is there a way to break the connection?

Many thanks again, Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2011 Aug 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Van, all, hi,

Consulted with Shlomo Perets, and the problem was a stray graphic on the last page. The solution was to delete the graphic (and then that specific page), then reapply the standard Right/Left to the remaining empty pages through the Format --> Page Layout --> Master Page Usage dialog box. Then using the Special--> Delete Pages dialog to delete the empty pages.

Thanks again,

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines