Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Mouse.hide() not working on air/mac app

Aug 22, 2011 7:57 PM

Hi,

I have an air app with a Mouse.hide() that is not working on the mac, but in an odd way. It has the latest AIR runtime as of the other day and I am publishing to AIR 2.0 from Flash Pro CS5. I'm making it from windows where it works fine, but the show computer is a mac mini.

I am calling Mouse.hide on the Document class in the ADDED_TO_STAGE handler (right before going FULL_SCREEN_INTERACTIVE), as well as 2 seconds after ADDED_TO_STAGE via a timer.

Here's the thing. If you launch the air app from the dock in osx, it works every time. However, if you launch the app from a finder window, the Mouse.hide() does not work! It also doesn't work when the app is set to run at login, as this is a trade show display setup just to run this app. It is also worth noting that in this case, the app still does have keyboard focus as the keyboard events are registering properly. Hit "M" and I've got the mouse hiding that way with no problem. Trouble is the client wants it to be automatic, so that show staff can hit the power button on the computer and be done.

I would post my code, but seriously it's just on ADDED_TO_STAGE -> Mouse.hide() and it hasn't changed. Shouldn't that work? This has been working since the beginning of this project almost 10 months ago but just stopped working recently (within the last couple of times we have updated software on the show machines).

I need to come up with a solution to this, but as far as I can see the only solution is to upgrade the project to run at 10.2 and air 2.7 to use native mouse cursors and load a blank cursor. To do that I think I would need to convert my .xfl project over to a flex builder project with components but I'm still not quite sure how to do that, so it would definitely take some time :/

thanks for reading this and if you think it would help for me to show my code I'll put together a test bed.

Nick

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 24, 2011 12:25 AM   in reply to totallyNoobular

Code is fine when I tested on desktop, but doesn't know how it looks on air.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to totallyNoobular

I have just come across this as well and am in a similar situation. I feel your pain.

FYI - I just submitted a bug report to Adobe on this. Hopefully they will correct it in an upcoming version of AIR.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to jsquared90

It's not just AIR. It's all the standalone Flash players (debugger, projector, and AIR). Since CS 5.5 I believe.

Needs a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to kengarduno

Mouse.hide is borked on Mac projectors. Works fine for Windows. I filed a bug report back in July, and emailed Adobe multiple times requesting help.

We have to publish our .app files using CS 5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to mmdvmm

Has anyone found a solution to this?!

I can beleive its almost two years since this was raised. CS6 cant hide mouse with the usual function, and dont want to go back to a depreciated version of flash just to workaround something adobe should fix. Having a mouse.hide function is obviously needed, come on Adobe! Pull a finger out why dont you...

?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 2:35 PM   in reply to feverplay

Still broke, and no help in sight! It's ridiculous that we have to keep CS5 installed just to have Mouse.hide work.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 19, 2013 12:23 PM   in reply to totallyNoobular

I wanted to let you guys know that we're taking a look at this issue.  If anyone has a bug number I can reference I can track down what happened to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting. Here's what I filed 6-27-13, but I did not receive a tracking # from Adobe:

Feature Request/Bug Report : Bug Report

Product                    : Flash Authoring

Product Version            : FlshProCS6

Product Language           : English

Browser                    : Safari

Web Server                 : Apache

Application Server         : Other : none

Database                   : MySQL

Operating System           : Mac OS X Intel based

OS version                 : 10.7.4

OS language                : English

Device Profile             :

Device Model               :

Mobile Device              :

HTTPREFERRER               : https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&promoid=E WQQL

Feedback Report            : ******BUG******

Concise problem statement:

When using Flash Pro CS6 to build a standalone Mac .app player, this code from CS5/AS3 no longer hides the mouse cursor. SWF and .exe files are not affected.

If you use Mouse.hide OR the FULL_SCREEN command, they work fine. Just not concurrently, like in CS5.

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. Use the following AS3 code together:

stage.displayState=StageDisplayState.FULL_SCREEN;

Mouse.hide();

2. Publish .fla as .app

Results:

App is full screen but mouse cursor is showing.

Expected results: Mouse should be hidden.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 1:51 AM   in reply to mmdvmm

This is an issue with the Flash runtime and not with the tooling(Flash Pro). We have informed the Flash runtime team about this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 2:55 PM   in reply to SujaiS

Thank you SujaiS! Is there a bug number we can track?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 9:02 PM   in reply to mmdvmm

I created a new bug for this bug# is 3582499

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 8:55 PM   in reply to ZheWang.Sean

I was not able to track with this bug id "3582499" in the adobe bug base "https://bugbase.adobe.com/". was this bug fixed or still in progress...

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Feb 27, 2014 5:13 PM   in reply to d.basker

Hello,

This (3582499) should have been fixed in AIR 3.8 (Released July 2013.)  Please let us know if you run into any problems.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2014 8:37 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Our application is an DVD Based product. when we launch the app file created for mac  we still get this issue, and this is working perfectly fine  in windows exe. We are using flash cs5 to publish the exe and app. we tired with different flash player version in the publish setting and still we face the same issue. kindly advise..

Thanks,

Basker D

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2014 8:48 PM   in reply to totallyNoobular

Our application is not an air based application. It is an standalone exe and app file published from flash cs5.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2014 8:56 PM   in reply to totallyNoobular

We tried with different flash player versions starting from flash plyer 9 to 11. The native cursor option is available only from flash player 10.2 and above. our application was originally created with flash player 9. Now upgrading flash player inside the publish settting might be risk because it might affect  some other features and fucntionalties of th application. our application is at the final delivery stage.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points