Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to enable push notifications when updating viewer?

Aug 23, 2011 9:03 AM

Okay, I have a few questions.

I'm about to update the app that we created under the PreRelease program and I ran into a couple of snags and I am not sure where to go.

Question 1: In the Viewer Builder>Viewer Details screen - How do I find out which viewer version I previously used? It lists only v13 and v14.

Question 2-A: Viewer Builder>Certificates - I'd like to enable push notifications but it's asking for APNS Certificates. What are APNS Certificates and how do I create/get them?

Question 2-B: Along with enabling push notifications do I just need to create a new mobile provisioning file or renew the one I had? Or do I need to create all new Dev and Dist. P12 certificates as well as creating a new provisioning file?

This is all a little confusing. Thanks!

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 23, 2011 9:21 AM   in reply to jblay-design

1. Unless you have a specific reason for not doing so, always choose the most current viewer version (in this case, v14). Viewers are backwards compatible.

2A-B. See the Companion Guide PDF for details. To enable push, you need to (1) reconfigure your App ID, (2) re-create your mobileprovision files (not your p12 certificates), and (3) create a production push certificate.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 23, 2011 12:56 PM   in reply to jblay-design

There is an option called "Enable Push Notifications" or something like that. Did you select it?

An updated version of the Companion Guide PDF is in the Downloads section of the prerelease site. We're trying to find a better way to make it available.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 21, 2011 2:03 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hey

I have enabled push notification (for my Dev & Distri) app. My app is still not submitted, I am testing. I have publish public folio in my app. But I don't know why I haven't the red badge that tell that a new file is available. Even if i restard my Ipad. When I open my app, I've got the message telling me to download the new file.

So I don't know what I missed when creating my both Dev & Distri push notification...

Here is some screen shot.

Keychain : ? The date is still OK. So I've dowload the both .P12 push not.

Apple dev :

And I've enable Push not. when creating my app in the Viewer Builder.

Any idea ??

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Sep 21, 2011 10:37 PM   in reply to minia92

I wasn't able to test push on my development app either, but it works fine on the actual app. Don't be concerned about push notifications failing to appear in the test environment.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 1:36 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Well, test environment is for testing therefore I can not agree that we should leave that subject while having developmnet build. If it is not working correctly in real life it means submitting new app to Apple just because we were unable to test it. Moreover I am sure we tested PUSH when having VB 1.4 developmnet builds!

By the way - we are also unable to test PUSH now.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 3:29 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Yes it is true, it is annoying to not been able to test now, because if it doens't work when my app is submitted it will be a big problem for me and my clients will not appreciate at all (that readers haven't push not. when new folio is available).... Don't like to stay in "potentially working" situation. I'd like to be sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2011 4:49 AM   in reply to minia92

Do push notifications work in a Single Issue app?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Nov 18, 2011 11:36 AM   in reply to Roel Van de Water

No, Adobe push notifications activate badges only when a folio is made public. You can't send push notifications for updates.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points