Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot open Lightroom Catalog on External Drive

Aug 24, 2011 1:27 PM

Please excuse the screen name. I tried so many when registering but they were all taken so I was pretty sure this one would be available.

I am migrating from a PC to a Mac Laptop.

I copied my entire photo drive to an external drive which is what i will use with my Laptop. My catalog and photos are stored on this external drive and when I try to open the catalog, I get the following Error:

Lightroom cannot launch with this catalog. It is either on a network volume or on a volume on which Lightroom cannot save changes. But I have no problem opening an image in Photoshop so I know the files copied over in a readable format.

Ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 24, 2011 1:59 PM   in reply to somedaymetalkpretty

Hi somedaymetalkpretty

I suspect your external drive is formatted with the NTFS file system, which is normal for Windows, but cannot be written to by Mac. You'd have to use an external drive formatted with FAT32 if you want to use it both in Windows and Mac.

Beat

P.S: I assume your catalog (the .lrcat file) does not exceed 4GB, otherwise you'd have a problem with FAT32.

Message was edited by: b_gossweiler: Added file size limit for FAT32

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2011 2:29 PM   in reply to somedaymetalkpretty

somedaymetalkpretty wrote:

I suspect you are right.

Thank you for your response.

Try moving just the catalog file (the "[catalogname].lrcat" file) and the previews folder (the "[catalogname] Previews.lrdata" folder) to the internal drive and opening it by double click.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2011 3:27 PM   in reply to somedaymetalkpretty

Right click (cmd-click on the Mac I guess) the top-level folder(s) which show a "?" right next to the name, and perform "Find missing Folder".

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2011 6:54 PM   in reply to somedaymetalkpretty

Hi

I've just moved from a PC to a Mac as well and is having the same problem as the original comment:

"Lightroom cannot create a catalog named “AATKM82011” on volume “/Volumes/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive/AATKM82011” because Lightroom cannot save changes to this location."

I do understand moving the file(s) (which I have several files in this external drive) to my internal HD...so my question would be, that my external drive can not be accessed (written) unless I reformat the drive? Is this the only way for me to use this drive or is there any other way that anyone can suggest?

Thank you in advance for the help.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2011 8:55 AM   in reply to Liza531

Liza,

Just to run LR, you won't have to move all the files on the external drive to the internal. Just the catalog (the "[catalogname].lrdata" file) and the previews (the "[catalogname] Previews.lrdata" folder). You can leave the images on the external just to try.

But you won't be able to write metadata back to files or move/delete images on that drive until you reformat it with FAT32 (if you want to use it in both Windows and Mac) or the Mac HFS (if it's only in use with the Mac).

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2011 9:29 AM   in reply to b_gossweiler

Thank you for the help and suggestion. Since I will end up having to reformat that drive, I will have to move all my files from that drive so it can be used in both Windows and Mac)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points