Skip navigation
athompsett
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS5. Saved printer information is not compatible with this version of Photoshop

Aug 24, 2011 1:06 PM

I am hoping someone has experienced this problem. I am working at a clients

office which has a large Konica Printer. When I first started using Photoshop at this office I

could print directly from PS to thier printers. Then a printer driver change or something I cannot pinpoint changed and I began getting the Error Message: The saved printer information is not compatible with this version of Photoshop, or the saved printer is no longer available. You will need to check your printer settings before printing. I click OK and the second Error Message appears: There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available until you have selected a priner and reopened any documents. The radio button has the single response word "Cancel". After clicking that button the printing is grayed out and until I go into Color Settings and change the setting drop down box to something else, close PS and reopen the, or any file and the same thing occurs. Ihad the IT department down here and after an hour he clicked on settings and tinkered around until all of a sudden the printing was enabled. It worked until the printer driver was updated. Once again the IT guy was down here and didn't remember what he did, tinkered around and after changing the color settings to: Monitor Color, it printed. Here we go again, printer settings were randomly changed so we reinstalled the printer driver and again PS is not printing.

Is there anyone who has experienced this issue who can help me make sense of this insanity. Is there a sequence of setting changes, opening of the program and file that is allowing the color management to stop interferring with my printing other than Gremlins in this machine? I have not found anything Googling on this issue. Please help me . . . Annette

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 24, 2011 1:27 PM   in reply to athompsett

I don't think I have an answer for you about exactly what went wrong, but one thing that can help with understanding the messages (and maybe can help you and your IT people figure it out) is this:

Photoshop saves the information about the last printer the document was printed to as metadata in the document file.  So if you make a print then save the PSD, the printer info is in the PSD.

If recently you opened an image that had previously been printed at another place (and which didn't have an exact match to the printer available in your current location), then you can start to imagine these error messages making a bit more sense.  Things like "The saved printer information" begin to have meaning.

Hope this helps.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 24, 2011 2:36 PM   in reply to athompsett

I'm not sure how what I said triggered what you did, but if you've found a workaround that's happy news. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points