Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign behavior for image links on virtual drive?

Aug 30, 2011 12:15 AM

When working with local InDesign files and local image links, I get warnings about missing links or modified links in case the images have been removed or updated since being placed in InDesign. When working with InDesign through Adobe Drive, the behavior seems to be radically different.

For instance, I place an image from the virtual Z drive and save the InDesign file on the virtual Z drive.

At a later time, the asset is removed from the DAM system (or moved so it is now mapped to a different local path).

When I reconnect through Adobe Drive and open the InDesign file, I will not get a missing link error, instead the link will appear without a missing link icon but also without a path.

Certain workarounds that we have implemented (e.g. remapping the path on the fly in case the asset has been moved) work when the originally placed image was a local file (i.e. occurs in the XMP with a C: path) but not when the originally placed image was retrieved through Drive (i.e. occurs in the XMP with a Z: path). Of course we would like to obtain consistent InDesign behavior regardless of whether the user connects through Drive or not.

Has this different behavior for InDesign links been documented? Can I get any additional information about it?

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2011 1:09 AM   in reply to hverlinde

Hi  hverlinde,

have you got any feedback about this issue? We are evaluating the adoption of Adobe Drive and we have found out this problem too.This is an important issue for us too.

Regards,

Alvaro.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2011 12:51 AM   in reply to hverlinde

Currently, In one machine, User creates a new InDesign file(eg. main.indd), place an image located at Z:\Temp\link.jpg in it, and save the file to the C drive. If he deletes/renames Z:\Temp\link.jpg, the following dialog will be show when open the InDesign file(main.indd).

MissLink.PNG

But if user copies that InDesign file(main.indd) to another machine and open it, above dialog won't be shown. It's an issue for Adobe Drive working with InDesign. We can fix it in next release.

For your case, I think it's better to mount Adobe Drive Disk on the machine where you copy the InDesign files to.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2011 3:36 AM   in reply to hverlinde

Could you tell me the version information of Adobe Drive and InDesign that you use?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2011 12:55 AM   in reply to hverlinde

Our QE did testing on my cases, and their results are the same as mine. So could you provide your machine info(OS version) and try my cases on another machine? I will record this issue in our bug tracking system.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2011 5:16 PM   in reply to hverlinde

Our QE will try to reproduce your case. Thanks a lot for providing these useful information. We are appreciated if you can send us your screen capture movies. My email: huli@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2011 5:14 AM   in reply to hverlinde

Hi Hannes,

I have received your movies and email. We can reproduce you issue.

We have logged it into our bug system. We'll fix it in future.

Thanks,

Hui

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points