I have a book of tweets coming out and would like to publish Kindle, ePub and PDF versions of it, which would need hyperlinks throughout to work at all. So what I need is a way to automatically convert
as it were.
There are about 1000 of them, so I don't want to have to do it manually!
I have already used a GREP style to automatically format the @text (it's always one word, so it's easy) but the automatic hyperlink tool does not seem to allow customisation of what hyperlinks look like.
Does anybody have any ideas as to the best way to approach this?
I would search-and-replace them all changing @Me into http://twitter.com/Me (or whatever), then autohyperlink them, and then search-and-replace them back to @Me.
You could also do this in an external text editor by exporting the stor(ies) to InDesign Tagged Text and setting up the hyperlinks there.
That worked, thanks, John: easy and obvious can win the day ...
It did show up some interesting assumptions that the automatic hyperlink generator uses -- any word with a "." in the middle of it is a URL, so there were quite a lot of concatonated phrases that got picked out for special attention, though these were easily dealt with.
I'm having a real problem putting a retweet into a document and then having the link work when I pdf it. Can anyone please contact me and give us a hand.. It may not be complicated for you but it's knocking me out..
Wow.. that was quick John!!! Thank you. But I spend many many hours yesterday going round in circles and finally figured out how to do what I wanted which was to embed a retweet in a pdf.. The finished product is now at.. http://www.hcvadvocate.org/community/community_pdf/Las%20Vegas,%20NV%2 0%20March%205,%202013.pdf .. Thanks!!
cdmazoff: OK, glad you solved your problem. But once you post here that you're having a problem, it would be good for you to post explaining the problem and what your solution was, so that others having the same problem can benefit from your efforts. So when you have a moment, please post the details! Thanks.
Hello John... Thanks.. My problem in large part stems from the way InDesign handles hyperlinks and what happens during the pdf process.. I have been having real problems with the "shared" destination default etc.. Anyways: then I had to put in a twitter link and I couldn't find any clear description of how to do this in InDesign or the help community. I went around in circles.. The problem was with html tags.. and twitter exceptions and etc.. Anyways: the whole thing worked out after I spent many hours on the net.. mostly trying to find the right language to use to phrase the problem.. Not being a "tweeter" complicated issues.. (I had to do this for those who do tweet)... The answer, in short was this:
As you can see... this took a while to figger out.. I found several posts on the internet but none stood alone... So here you go.
Europe, Middle East and Africa