Skip navigation
Zack R.
Currently Being Moderated

Can't Change Mercury Playback Engine

Aug 30, 2011 10:42 AM

Everytime I try to change the Mercury Playback Engine from "Software Only" to "GPU Acceleration", I can't. The section to change the Mercury Playback Engine, appears to be grey, like everyone else has been saying.

I have read and searched around the Adobe Forums, but I can't seem to find an answer.

I just got the PNY Nvidia Quadro 2000D. I know it works with Premiere Pro CS5.5, because it's listed on the site --> http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html.

I've tried everything I could of think of:

- Uninstalled Adobe CS5.5 then Reinstalled Adobe CS5.5

- Setected Maximum Bit Depth & Maximum Render Quality (From Sequence Settings)

So My Question Is:

How do I fix this problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 30, 2011 10:44 AM   in reply to Zack R.

Have you installed the latest nVidia CUDA drivers for that card? If not, that would be the first thing that I would do.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 2:50 PM   in reply to Zack R.

If you don't know how to find and install CUDA drivers for your hardware, I recommend contacting Nvidia support:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 3:48 PM   in reply to Zack R.

>Toolkit and the Developer Drivers 

Unless you ARE a developer... I don't think that is what you want

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 4:22 PM   in reply to Zack R.

Again, I recommend that if you do not know how to install drivers for your Nvidia hardware, you contact Nvidia support.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 5:50 PM   in reply to Zack R.

Before I even had this Graphics Card I could change the option to GPU.

What do you mean by this? The only way that would be possible is if you had a GPU with CUDA and enough memory and the required minimum drivers installed. Are you saying that you had another CUDA GPU installed previously? If so, you will want to uninstall ALL Nvidia drivers--new and old--and then reinstall the latest for your specific GPU.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 6:02 PM   in reply to Zack R.

I mean, I had the option to choose GPU.

Impossible if you didn't have a CUDA GPU previously. Try reading what I said and answering the question.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 6:21 PM   in reply to Zack R.
    I DID have the option to choose GPU before I had any Graphics Card, in my computer.

Again, impossible.

For one, you cannot operate your computer without a GPU, so saying you previously had none makes no sense. How did you operate the computer before adding this card?

For another, the only way you can select GPU accelerated rendering in Premiere Pro is if you have an Nvidia GPU with CUDA and a minimum amount of RAM; that either means you have an officially supported GPU or you hacked the necessary file to activate the GPU. The only other possible explanation is that you somehow stumbled upon a bug that made this option available. I don't recall that ever being reported before, so you'd be the first that I'd be aware of.

My theory: you had another GPU that was hardware Mercury Playback Engine capable, and replaced it. The original drivers were not uninstalled, and the drivers for the new card were, but there's a conflict. This is just a guess, as you're not providing enough information. If you don't want to, fine--that's your choice. No one will be able to help you without such information, however.

Anyway, good luck to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 7:12 PM   in reply to Zack R.

Those drivers are likely over six mos. old.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 7:38 PM   in reply to Zack R.

You appear to be on Windows, but I had a similar problem on my MacPro.  Installed new card and drivers and no Mercury option in the prefs.  Turns out I had forgotten that I had switched over to 32 bit mode for some reason a few months back, and never returned it to 64.  Once I did that... problem solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 8:07 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Zack, we are trying to help you.

It is very likely that you have a problem with the Nvidia driver software on your computer. This is not the forum for resolving that. I pointed you to the place where the people who excel at resolving such issues are---the Nvidia Support site.

|
    Mark as:
  • Lucien Schilling
    166 posts
    Oct 2, 2007
    Sep 1, 2011 8:37 AM   in reply to Zack R.

I had a similar problem with CS5. I checked the ID the graphics card was giving to the system (CPU-Z for example reports that), and I added this to the file "cuda_supported_cards.txt" in the Adobe Premier Pro directory. It worked afterwards without a hassle. My guess would be to check the cuda_supported_cards.txt file.

L.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2011 9:55 AM   in reply to Zack R.

Just put a Space between the "2000D", so it looks like "2000 D".

If that's really the case, that should be reported as a bug to Adobe: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

It's an "official" card as of CS5.5. It should not require any mucking about in that file.

|
    Mark as:
  • Lucien Schilling
    166 posts
    Oct 2, 2007
    Sep 2, 2011 2:03 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

You're right Colin.

And supported means that Adobe has one configured system available to test, and for sure they have the acceleration feature enabled. I suppose that the identifier changed during a firmware realease of the grafics board.

There is a reason to this archaic configuration tool, but I love to be able to adjust it that way, as I a) don't fumble in some obscure system files and b) I know what I'm doing...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points