Skip navigation
woop11.04
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to change preferences for Adobe Reader 9.4.2 on Ubuntu 11.04

Sep 2, 2011 4:44 AM

I installed Adobe Reader 9 via the Ubuntu Software Center.  The installed files are located at /opt/Adobe/Reader9/

The reader runs ok except when I want to change some preferences, I've found that I can only view Preferences, but I cannot change it.  All options are protected including the Cancel and OK buttons.  I can only close the Preferences window.

Is it just a simple permission (chmod on some files) issue?

Many thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 8, 2011 9:58 PM   in reply to woop11.04

If you have the latest updates, then Acrobat Reader 9.4.2 does (at least) partially work in Ubuntu 11.10 + Unity.

There are a number of minor glitches - due to changes in Ubuntu's undelying GUI, kernal, etc. in the upgrde to Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric).

-  floating scroll bars (only appearing when you hover mouse-cursor)

DOES NOT WORK: Does not scroll page .. 

You may need to disable this feature.  (in CCSM)

-  Edit >> Preferences

This tries to work, but loses focus.  I can see the Cancel and Ok buttons, but they don't do anyhting.

This is a GTK+ library issue, and an update to 9.4.2+ is needed.

Summary: There are a number of minor GUI issues that haev existed in 9.4.x for Linux.  The update to Gnome 3 and Unity (for Ubuntu 11.10) has definitely made this much worse.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2011 10:19 PM   in reply to woop11.04

I just found that you can, in fact, make changes to the Preferences using the keyboard. Use <tab> to move between selections, <spacebar> to select or unselect checkbox options, and <arrow> keys in spinners. To finalize, select the OK button using the <tab> key and press <enter>. It appears you have to pres the key a few times, or maybe there is a delay and I was too impatient.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points