Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CreatePDF on iOS - FAQ

Sep 7, 2011 10:08 AM

Hello,

I am the Product Manager for Adobe CreatePDF app on iOS that we launced recently. We have recieved some questions and concerns from users on the app functionality and behavior on various forums for CreatePDF. Throught this post, we have tried to answer the most common questions and concerns . If you have a question or concern that is not addressed below, please feel free to reach us on one of the following

·         Email us at adobecreatepdf-ios@adobe.com

·         Post on CreatePDF forum – http://forums.adobe.com/community/createpdf_mobile/ios

Regards

Joydeep Majumder

Product Manager, Adobe CreatePDF on mobile Devices

Adobe CreatePDF - FAQs

What can I do with Adobe CreatePDF?

CreatePDF can be used for converting common file formats into PDF files.  The file formats that can be converted into PDF include:

·         MS Word (docx, doc), Excel(xlsx, xls), PowerPoint (pptx, ppt)

·         Adobe Illustrator (ai), Photoshop (psd) and InDesign (indd)

·         Images – JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF, TIFF

·         RTF (rtf), Text (txt) and WordPerfect (wpd)

·         OpenOffice (odf, odt, odp, ods) and StarOffice documents (sxd, sxc, sxi, sxw, stw)

Are there file formats not supported by CreatePDF?

Any file format that is not listed above is not supported and hence cannot be converted to PDF using the app. Please note that the current version of the app (v1.0.X) does not support Pages, Numbers, and Keynote file formats for conversion to PDF.

How do I convert a file to PDF using CreatePDF?

The CreatePDF app works using ‘Open In’, an iOS feature for sharing files across applications. To convert a file to PDF using CreatePDF, you have to select ‘Open In’ in the app in which you have opened the file. If the file format is supported, you will see CreatePDF in the ‘Open In’ list. Select CreatePDF from that list to start conversion. If the file format is not supported, then CreatePDF will not appear in that list.

What are the Apps that support ‘Open In’?

There are a number of apps on iPad and iPhone that support ‘Open In’

·         Mail app supports ‘Open In’ for attachments (for limited file formats)

·         Cloud storage app like Dropbox (for limited file formats)

·         Office apps like Office2HD and Documents To Go

·         And a host of other applications

What about Apps that do not support ‘Open In’?

There are also apps that do not support ‘Open In’. If you are using one such app for viewing/opening a file, then you will not be able to use CreatePDF to convert it into PDF; even if the file format is supported. Some common apps on iPad and iPhone that do not have ‘Open In’ are listed below

·         Photos

·         Safari (Browser) for Web Pages

·         Mail for some file formats like Images

·         Notes

·         Contacts

Can I convert Web Pages to PDF using CreatePDF?

The current version of CreatePDF app (v1.0.X) does not support Web Pages. We plan to add this support in the near future. However, you can use the app to convert a file download from the web on Safari to PDF using ‘Open In’ from the browser viewer.

How do I convert Images to PDF using CreatePDF?

You can convert an Image to PDF by opening it in an app that supports ‘Open In’ e.g. SugarSync for iPad. Currently the Mail app on iPad & iPhone does not support ‘Open In’ for Image attachments.

Can I open PDF files using CreatePDF?

The CreatePDF app helps you to convert a supported file to PDF. After conversion you can also view the converted PDF file in the app. But, you cannot open an existing PDF file using this app via ‘Open In’ (CreatePDF will not be listed in ‘Open In’ since PDF is not one of the supported file formats). You can view a PDF file using the iOS built-in viewer.

I have opened a CreatePDF supported file format in an app that has ‘Open In’ but I cannot see CreatePDF in the ‘Open In’ list?

Try scrolling down to see if the app is somewhere below in the list. If it is not there, then it could be because of the upper limit on the number of apps that can be shown in  the ‘Open In’. So, in this case it is possible that the upper limit is already reached and hence CreatePDF is not showing in the list. You can uninstall/delete a few of the other apps in the list, then you should see CreatePDF in the list.

Replies

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)