Skip navigation
wyattMW
Currently Being Moderated

Poor quality text in PDF

Sep 6, 2011 4:36 PM

I am using Acrobat pro X to produce an online brochure. I started producing the brochure in Corel draw using A4 paper size in landscape mode. When I created the PDF by the print command the general quality was very poor, both graphics and text. I experimented with various settings increasing the quality settings for images but it didn't seem to have any significant effect. I then tried placing some of the elements in a Word document and creating a PDF from this document, and again I found that the results were unsatisfactory, a bit better than from Corel but not very good. I have converted many Word documents to PDF in the past without problems. I started a new Word document and this time copied a template for a landscape brochure from Microsoft. This was already populated with some Text-and-Graphics. When I created a PDF from this it was quite good. It was not clear to me what the difference between my basic word document and this new one was. I went through the documents’ settings with a fine tooth comb and the only one I could find was different was the paper size and orientation. I then copied some of my graphics and text to the word brochure document, and this to converted nicely to PDF. I took a note of what appeared to be a somewhat unusual paper size and copied this to the Corel document. When I created a PDF it was now significantly better all the paper size was wrong. I went back from scratch with both the word document and the Corel draw document (those which produce bad PDF files) and carefully made sure that the paper size and orientation in the document matched the PDF settings. But the result was still poor in this case. It is not clear to me what is causing the problem although it does seem to be mainly text, the graphics are often okay. The text however is extremely patchy looking and very poor quality.

In the Acrobat settings I started with "high quality print" default setting and edited this. When I selected the fonts section there were no fonts selected for embedding. This surprised me as I would have thought high-quality print would automatically embedded all fonts. I selected the fonts in my document and embedded them and saved the settings, but when I went out of this dialogue box and straight back in it showed up with no embedded fonts. What's happening here? Is it for getting about my font selection? Or does this dialogue box when you re-enter it not reflect the current settings? Furthermore when I completed my modifications to the "high-quality print" default settings it asked me to save them as a new job options file which I did, but when I go to print a second time it never gives me the option of selecting these saved settings.

I have tried almost every permutation and combination of settings page sizes et cetera and I now tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to simply get a reasonable quality PDF file. Any assistance on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 6, 2011 6:41 PM   in reply to wyattMW

You havent mentions what OS and what version of Corel, but from the sound of it Corel is converting the text to outlines or raster images before sending the graphic to the virtual printer.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points