Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Multi-threaded Illustrator Please

Sep 12, 2011 12:20 AM

I've this fairly simple layout in Illustrator. I have 12 cores, 64gb of RAM, a high-end video card and my swap drive is a striped raid of SSDs, yet I'm waiting a full 3 minutes for the *3D tools* to re-render the layout preview. It would be helpful if Illustrator got a much needed overhaul to the core engine allowing the program to utilize any available resources.

Chris Patterson,

-Power User

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to Chris Patterson

I vote with you Chris. 1 gig + files explode open and closed in pshop but with ia its time to check email.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to Chris Patterson

Me too. I often work with a lot of photos, textures and raster effects.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to Chris Patterson

Right the klutzy way they implement effects in Ia seems to increase file size exponentially and inversely effect performance.

I haven't seen anything about CS6-Ia being 64 friendly- pushing rendering over to memory,  have you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to Chris Patterson

I just installed  CS5 on a brand new iMac i7 quad-core. I'm several minutes into "applying trim filter" on a 25 mb file and watching one CPU peged at 100% while the other 3 just sit there. It would be nice to have gotten some sort of speed boost with this new machine, coming from an 8 year old G5. I hope this is on the roadmap -- has Adobe publicly adressed the multi- thread issue at all?

(ha, it crashed before finishing)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to Chris Patterson

8, 16, 24 cores- i7, Xeon, dual Xeon, mac, Win7- 8, 24, 48G, ecc, non ecc,  be prepared to wait and run out of memory.

I personally use other stuff for 3D now but I can see how it would be useful.

I just wish Ia was a little snappier.

It's really shameful because I love Illustrator,  my pen tool, classy looking stuff but it's suffering by comparison to some really sophisticated wares out there.

It's like an old English car, I just wish it was more reliable, didn't leak, ran better.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points