Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Interpreting DPS Pro analytics

Sep 12, 2011 1:30 AM

Hi,

When reviewing the DPS Pro analytics with my reseller DPS account you get basic info like:

- downloaded folio's

- canceled folio's

etc.

So basicly measurable actions.

But the second part of this has to do with contents like:

- which ads have been viewed

- which articles have been viewed

- how many video's have been viewed

- which overlay is the most popular, etc.

But I want to know, when does viewing an article "count" in the analytics?

e.g.: If I want to get to article 5 and scroll from article 3 to article 5 (so I don't use the TOC), does article 4 get a "hit" in the analytics page? Is there a minium viewing period (e.g. 5 seconds?) required before an article gets a higher viewing figure?

I'm getting some questions about this from clients and I think this is very important, especially when talking about viewed ads.

Thanks !

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 12, 2011 9:27 AM   in reply to Bart Van de Wiele

Any page view generates a hit to analytics. So, Yes, quickly flipping between pages 3,4, and 5 in order to get to page 5 generates the same analytics value as browsing between pages 3,4 and 5 completely reading all content on those pages. The value I think you are looking for is page dwell (the amount of time an average user spends on a page). That is currently available through Site Catalyst, not the base level analytics. I have plans for improving base analytics to add additional charts for dwell, total time spent on page, mean time spent on page and other important pieces of information. I do not have an ETA when those additional charts will be available.

I'm also looking at adding a new page count metric that doesn't fire until a user has spent anywhere from 3-5 seconds on a page vs just flipping to navigate to the next page.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2011 12:51 AM   in reply to John J Metzger

John,  improvements that you mentioned are absolutely necessary! Hope to get them as quickly as possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 3:22 PM   in reply to Bart Van de Wiele

Yes on single folio apps.

They are sent when the iPad is online and the viewer is open. They are throttled to try and use the network connection intelligently and are timestamped locally becuase there is no guarantee when they will be sent to the server.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2011 2:59 AM   in reply to John J Metzger

Hi John

I still can't access my analytics page, when I try to open the page through the dashboard I get an error. I dont think I'm set up correctly

email is jag at aq2.info

other than checking the box in viewer builder is there anything else I need to do?

Cheers

Alistair

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 26, 2011 10:50 AM   in reply to mobly

See this article for information on setting up analytics and making sure it's set up properly:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/919/cpsid_91960.html

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2011 2:13 PM   in reply to mobly

What error are you getting Alistair? A screen shot would help.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 12:35 AM   in reply to John J Metzger

Screen shot 2011-09-27 at 08.32.15.png

Is this because I dont have any accounts set up?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 12:41 AM   in reply to mobly

Correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2011 2:48 AM   in reply to John J Metzger

Hi

Actually it will be really good to have those features in the Analytics. Do you have more information on when?

By the way, I am wondering why do I have 360 statistics in my analytics overlay when I didn't use it at all in my folio...... Maybe it is for the JPG sequences?? can you please tell me ?

Thnk U

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to John J Metzger

Any updates on when further detail in analytics might be rolled out?

It's great to have these numbers available but we're working on our dashboard now, and the metrics we're seeing don't tell us the kind of info we could  pass along to our advertisers or stakeholders. (i.e. 'browsed' doesn't allow us to claim engagement if there isn't a min time limit on what constitutes a 'browse')

I'm also seeing some confusing stats. Our most-browsed content piece so far this month is listed in the analytics as '::unspecified::' which doesn't exist in our folio, and the next highest (at 4x the number of downloads, so that's kind of suspicious too) is a puzzle at the back of the book, coming in just before the feature story even though it's not linked from the cover. Anybody have any experience with puzzling numbers like this, and have insight to share?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to lettergrade

to pick this discussion back up... per the DPS Blog, "Alliance for Audited Media (AAM)–has successfully completed an initial audit of the metrics captured by the Content Viewer included with DPS. DPS is the first digital publishing solution to be certified by AAM."

The following metrics have been certified:

• Number of readers for a magazine and each individual issue
    • Total number of article and content views within an issue
    • Total time spent with an issue by all readers

Can someone "show" us where in the DPS Dashboard Analytics screen the "Total time spent with an issue by all readers" metrics is?

Thanks in advance, Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to pestodog01

anyone know what the price structure is for SiteCatalyst per month?

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 1:15 PM   in reply to pestodog01

It's a yearly agreement based on server calls generated monthly by your app's readers. Plus installation fee & training in the first year of contract.

What is tricky is that you have to estimate the traffic before you sign the contract (choose a monthly/yearly plan). Tricky because it's impossible to change your plan during the year or some overusage fee applies. We have been told that one reading one folio folio by one reader can generate 1.000 server calls from predifined SC report suite. Yearly plan starrs from 6 mln server calls. For pricing ask Site Catalyst reseller...and good luck

Anyway I am curious regarding this 1.000 server calls per one folio per one reader. Any comments?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 1:22 AM   in reply to John J Metzger

I know I'm bringing up an old thread here now, but I'm curious about the progress of this, as I haven't seen or heard any more about it.

I use the dps analytics tool a lot, as we unfortunately can not afford site catalyst, so any improvement to the analytics included in the Professional subscription would be of Great value.

All of the above mentioned plans would vastly improve the analytics.

It would obviously also be a huge improvement if the analytics could be non-flash-based, so that I could access it from my ipad too, but one thing at the time. :-)

Could we expect to see any of these suggestions implemented in the near future?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 1:37 AM   in reply to eddie_dps

I'd like to keep this thread, or any thread about analytics, alive, as I think it is an area where Adobe could make some quick, easy improvements to the Pro Licence. The current analytics really just dont go far enough to be meaningful. if we could get just a bit more of the detail that comes with SC then it would be a big improvement. Analysis of URL clicks would be a great start. Also having access to one page that shows all the folios and their downloads would be helpful, these stats are already available, so it wouldnt take much to add that as an overview page, at the moment I have to request it from my dealer support or gold support.

Cheers

Alistair

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 4:06 AM   in reply to mobly

Any adobe representatives who can shed some light on this subject? :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to eddie_dps

We plan to revamp base analytics this year. We plan to not only provide a better functionality to view / download reports, but also to add many more business critical metrics to the DPS Dashboard.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to Shikha Bhargava

That's good to hear, I'm sure we all appreciate the heads up. Thanks

Alistair

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to mobly

Very good to hear. Look forward to this!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 12:31 AM   in reply to eddie_dps

hello,

any updates? which sprint that we are looking for this base analytics improvement? thanks

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points