• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I combine several clips

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2011 Sep 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought this would be easy to google a solution for but I haven't found an answer.

Hopefully, there's an easy way to do this

Some call it "consolidate", some call it "compound clip" etc. but I would like to be able to collect 10 clips I have in a sequence (on the same track) into one, so that I can apply effects, edit sound in Audition etc. as if it was one single clip/track.

I've tried merging, combining, grouping, nesting etc. but nothing seems to give me what I need.

Can someone please tell me how to make the 10 clips "melt" into 1 clip on 1 track?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2011 Sep 14, 2011

OK found another way.

Select clips you want to edit in one go in Audition, and nest.

Select audio part of this nested clip and go to Clip/Audio Options/Render and Replace.

Now rightclick on the audio part and Edit clip in Adobe Audition is highlighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not possible in the manner you're describing--at least, not directly within Premiere Pro. You could export your edited clips as a mixdown, resulting in a single video and single audio portion.

What's wrong with nesting the video for effects or effect presets or even just copying and pasting effects? And why not keep the audio portions separate, and edit them individually or as a multiclip Audition session? Any combination of those methods will give you far more flexibility than what you're trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to learn the right way to do this and it's seems that you have some very nice suggestions.

I'm one of the switchers from Final Cut Pro and in FCP we just click "compound" and all edits "melt" together in one clip which is then very easy to edit.

When having - in Premiere - 10 clips like in this case, and I want to put 5 effecs on, I don't like having to manually paste it 50 times.

Neither do I like having to edit 50 places to change them afterwards

Perhaps a mild overstatement, but to me, it's just much easier to only have to put an effect ONE time and edit it ONE place.

Perhaps your way is better, so I'd really like to learn it. I just seached for "multiclip" and some of the other advice you wrote about but found nothing about it the users guide for neither Premiere, nor Audition ?

Can you please point me in the right direction so I can learn this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a specific example:

This afternoon we edited a a file that ended being cut up into 22 or 23 cuts during the file.

We wanted to put a specific set of effects on the audio in Audition and it sure seemed to me that we then had to apply the effects manually to each and every one of the 22 cuts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all you want to do is apply ONE instance of an effect to multiple clips--whether it's an audio effect or video effect--you'll want to nest. Just select the group of clips in your sequence, and go to Sequence > Nest (also available as a keyboard shortcut or on the context/right-click menu). This will move all the selected clips into a new sequence, and replace them in the "nesting" sequence with a nested sequence clip. Essentially, this nested sequence functions as a single clip, so you can apply one instance of the video or audio effect that you want to the nested sequence, and it will affect all footage contained within the nest. That's probably the most straightforward way to accomplish what you're looking for, and is probably really similar to the functionality you're describing from FCP.

You can also apply Track level audio effects in the Audio Mixer; these will affect all clips on a particular track, along you to edit one instance of the Track effect and immediately influence all clips in that track. Just to the Audio Mixer panel, twirl open the Effects section (near the top), and then you can click the drop down effects selectors to choose an effect. Right-click to select a preset (there are a few for a few of the effects), or select Edit to open the VST editor for that effect. Just note that you can't copy and paste these the way you can clip effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the effect is the same for all the other clips do one clip, right click and copy.

Select all the other clips, right click and Paste Attributes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Ann, but the OP wants to edit a single effect instance; nesting is the only real option then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much - but it seems to me that I cannot send audio from a nested part to Audition for editing ? It's simply "grey'd out" in the menu after nesting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, what I'm suggesting is that you use the Audio Mixer and effects in Premiere Pro. Audition is certainly more capable, as far as audio editing is concerned, but depending on what you need, you might find it a lot easier to simply add effects and do basic clean-up right in Premiere Pro.

But to answer your question: climb into the nested sequence (you can just double-click it in the nesting sequence) and you'll have access to the command then, as well as all of the individual clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct.

Double click on the nested sequence and it will open the sequence with the single clips.

Select all and open in Audition, you still have to edit the clips one by one.

Another option is not to edit in Audition and use the Audio Mixer and add the effect to the whole track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - that might be a good solution.

I just tried to see how I can add an effect, like the multiband compressor, to a single track no matter how many clips I have.

I need to be able to add it once and only edit it one place/time no matter how many clips I've got on the specific track.

How is this possible, using "your way"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOUND IT !

I had to open the effects/sends part of the mixer !!!

WUHUUUU THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I mark you both as "correct answer", then ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, but it's not the same effects as in Audition, is it ?

When I select "multiband compressor" your way, I don't get the same effects / presets as in multiband compressor in Audition.

Also, several effects are not in my Premiere mixer but they are available in Audition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2011 Sep 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK found another way.

Select clips you want to edit in one go in Audition, and nest.

Select audio part of this nested clip and go to Clip/Audio Options/Render and Replace.

Now rightclick on the audio part and Edit clip in Adobe Audition is highlighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just made my day much better, Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad i could help.

lola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines