Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Which is best way to create a web Flip Book?

Sep 15, 2011 11:49 AM

I am creating a spec book of about 200 pages and it used to print and go in a binder but now it needs to be on web as a flip book.

Since I do all the production work in InDesign I hoped it could be an export.

I have heard about http://page-flip.com/ and http://www.freshcatalog.com/ but should I have to pay for more software if I can do it in InDesign?

Will a 200 page project be a monster of a file size and would that cause performance issues?

I appreciate opinions on this issue.

Thanks Jim K

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2011 7:23 AM   in reply to James Kemble

You are talking to users like yourself here, not Adobe staff. Evidently none of the users who viewed your post felt they had any information that would be of use to you, either because your question was not clear, or they simply did not have any similar experience.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2011 7:25 AM   in reply to James Kemble

Employees of Adobe rarely visit the forums. This is a user to user forum.

It is sad nobody replied.

InDesign can produce, in my opinion, a very mediocre flip-book.

I use the page-flip book you describe for our magazine and it's very easy to use. You use a PDF of the document to load into the software and it generates the files to be uploaded to the web.

P.s. I didn't see this post that's why I didn't reply.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2011 7:25 AM   in reply to James Kemble

This is a user to user forum not a direct communication to Adobe. Nobody here is under any obligation to answer your question and the fact that you didn’t get an answer is indicative of the fact that nobody had anything to tell you.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2011 7:49 AM   in reply to James Kemble

I suppose you already tried to export as flash:

File>Export>Save as type>Flash Player (SWF)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2011 10:37 AM   in reply to James Kemble

http://page-flip.com/

Get stuck paying for it, but this one is actually pretty nice. Good support from them, though obviously free is a better price for some of these. The html edition of it is pretty good. It is flash, but does a great job.

I think this is one of those things where we all have used one or more solution for this and it is one of those necessary evils in the print world. Clients request them, our Heidelbergs hate them, most people think they are tacky.

|
    Mark as:
  • lilia@
    196 posts
    Jan 31, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to James Kemble

and sometimes... viewers might look at a post seeking their own answers... not to answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to James Kemble

When you are using InDesign, you can export the file to single SWF file. If there are 200 pages in the file, the output size is probably being large when there are high resolution images in it.

You can some 3rd party tools such as the products you’ve mentioned or aXmag pdf to flash converter to get pages created into separate SWF files and load them one by one for online reading which could shorten the loading time when end users are trying to open the online flip book.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points