Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere - After Effects dinamic link problem

Sep 15, 2011 9:14 PM

I have a timeline with some clips. To stabilize a clip I replaced it with an After Effects composition (called stabilize1). Everything was right and I got a clip stabilized. But I have done this with another clip (called stabilize2) in the same timeline, and when I returned to Premiere, both replaced clips point to the second After Effects composition. The AE file name and composition name are different in both files.

I done a workaround, I created two AE compositions with the clips stabilized and added to PR project. Then I deleted the clips and inserted the AE compositions.

There is a bug, may be?

Regards,

Lluís

Windows 7 64b

CS5.5 production premium spanish

Premiere pro is updated to 5.5.1

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 16, 2011 8:53 AM   in reply to LluisV

Not a bug.  AE is programmed to think that a comp with the same name, but one number higher, is the latest version and the only one to be used.

Don't do that.  Use a completely different name for each comp.  And put them both in the same AE project.  Other issues can arise if you don't.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2011 11:26 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

No Jim, it's a bug specific to CS5.5. Does not exist in CS5 (at least I have never been able to reproduce it in CS5).

To have some fun try to exit Premiere (I mean CS5.5) and relaunch it several times (not just close and reopen project) - one time you will see that both dynamically linked comps refer to e.g. first clip, whereas another time they will refer to an opposite clip (e.g. second one).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2011 11:34 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

It's not a bug at all, Fuzzy.  Todd has explained how AE treats sequentially named files.  The trick is to not do that with multiple linked comps.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2011 11:47 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim, try to relaunch Premiere several times, and than tell me if you still think it's a feature...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2011 12:25 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Not a bug.  AE is programmed to think that a comp with the same name, but one number higher, is the latest version and the only one to be used.

Don't do that.  Use a completely different name for each comp.  And put them both in the same AE project.  Other issues can arise if you don't.

This is not entirely correct. You can have as many sequentially numbered comps as you want in a single After Effects project. The problem lies when you have multiple After Effects projects that are sequentially numbered. I use multiple comps frequently with increasing serial numbers, all in one project, to no ill effect.

The project name is the issue, because that keys into After Effects' versioning capability. The OP was not really specific on how the project and/or comps were set up, so it's hard to tell if this was the issue, or something else.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2011 1:18 PM   in reply to LluisV

OK, let's have some fun further!

1. Place two clips in the timeline.

2. Right-click any of them, choose 'Replace With After Effects Composition', save AE project as e.g '1st Project' and close it.

3. Switch back to PrPro, choose 'Render Entire Work Area' (indulge ourselves adjusting Work Area to dynamically linked comp only).

4. Save PrPro project, close PrPro and then relaunch it with the same project.

5. Right-click another clip, replace it with next After Effects composition, save AE project as e.g. '2nd Project'and close it, switch back to PrPro and choose 'Render Entire Work Area'.

How does that work ?!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2011 1:16 PM   in reply to LluisV

ADL. Sequential Names.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 1:28 PM   in reply to LluisV

I am having the same problem.  Has anyone found a solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 2:23 PM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

save AE project as e.g. '2nd Project'

I prefer to keep all comps in a single AE project myself.  That flow works just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 3:42 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

That has been my solution as well Jim. All the comps on a project goes into 1 AE project.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 3:43 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Thanks, I will give it a try!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 4:09 PM   in reply to Veneman Film

The trick that I find helps me a lot is this. When I return to a project that already has some dynamic links I just select on of those linked clips and select "Edit Original". That opens the preexisting AE project. Then when I am ready to send a regular clip over, the AE project is already open and a new comp is created. If I just select the regular clip and select "Make an AE Project" it will create a new project with a similar name to the Original AE project and that where things get screwed up.

Now is about the time Fuzzy chimes in and tells me how wrong I am 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 9:55 PM   in reply to lasvideo

I did the same. But Now I have too many clips sent in one AE project and when I send it there it saves it which takes forever. I am doing something wrong? Also has it been fixed in CS6?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points