Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing / Transferring Keyboard Shortcuts into Photoshop CS5

Sep 20, 2011 7:53 AM

Tags: #photoshop #cs5 #import #transfer #keyboard #shortcut

Hello, i am testing out Photoshop 5 and it looks good so far, yet some obstacles are left to solve. For example i wonder how to get the keyboard shortcuts from my old Photoshop (the .kys file) into the PS5? There is no import. I would even manually transfer, but opening the file in a texteditor just shows weird stuff (there was a guy who manually transfered his indesign shortcuts in such a way, but since he used a normal text editor i guess these files are of a different structure)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2881861#2881861

if anyone knows how to transfer them or has an idea how to manually workaround, i am happy for hints.

thanks

Sofian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2011 3:23 PM   in reply to Sofian777

It depends on which windows system you have, but for vista and windows 7, probably the best

place to put the kys file is:

C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Keyboard Shortcuts

Added:

Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Keyboard Shortcuts

MTSTUNER

Message was edited by: MTSTUNER

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2011 2:33 PM   in reply to Sofian777

(EDIT: Aha, wrong forum I guess, but shouldn’t the *.kys file format be at least the same in Mac / PC?)

Hi, I’m on a Mac and I would also love to transfer my current CS4 Photoshop settings to a CS5 install.

Steps I tried: Save my CS4 keyboard configuration to a my_keys.kys file and put it there:

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Presets/Keyboard Shortcuts

In Photoshop CS5, I can now select the above file in the  Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts window. However, to no effect.

There must be a better way...

any help is greatly appreciated!

m.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2011 8:50 PM   in reply to momcorp-1999

I'd recommend re-doing all the configuration settings in the new version, rather than trying to mix and match proprietary binary files.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points