Skip navigation
jasongreenberg
Currently Being Moderated

Transfering ap divs with their content to another html file

Sep 20, 2011 5:14 PM

I am a bit of a newbie, I am creating my first in depth site and having a problem with ap divs.
I originally created a template and used that template to create all my html content pages for the site.

Now I needed to make some changes to some elements and rather than going to each html file and making the change I am wondering if there is a better way.

I know I can insert divs from my css stylesheet from another html file but the problem is it just inserts the div without the content.  Is there a way to bring in a div including all

the content that's inside the div? 

Many thanks,

Jason

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 21, 2011 4:09 AM   in reply to jasongreenberg

I am a bit of a newbie, I am creating my first in depth site and having a problem with ap divs.

What are you using AP divs at all? 

Now I needed to make some changes to some elements and rather than going to each html file and making the change I am wondering if there is a better way.

You are needing to make changes to template-controlled pages?  You need to make these changes to the editable regions of those pages?

I know I can insert divs from my css stylesheet from another html file

That sounds confused.  You cannot insert CONTENT with CSS (at least not the way I think you mean).  You can only style existing content.

Is there a way to bring in a div including all

the content that's inside the div?

Why don't you show us a page, and tell us what you'd like to change on that page?  And when I say "show" I don't mean a screenshot - we would need to see the page and its code (a link to the live page would be very helpful).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 7:18 AM   in reply to jasongreenberg

I want the mp3 player to continue playing when you go from page to page so I want to find a way to have the entire top section of the site always remaining when the users navigate to different pages.

The only quick way to do this would be to use frames. And there are so many compelling reasons not to do that, I wouldn't even consider it.  You could also use javascript to force a 'pop-under' window that contains your mp3 player, but honestly, I think that's just not wise or friendly....

And to have music playing automatically when a page loads is the epitome of unfriendly, I think.  Give the user the option of enabling the sound, but don't start it without 'asking'.

Standby while I look at your layout....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 8:07 AM   in reply to jasongreenberg

Read the link that gramps gave you in the other thread you started....  I'm not optimistic.

IFrames won't do the job at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 9:27 AM   in reply to jasongreenberg

Check this layout -

http://gws-sandbox.com/soundscape2.html

It will be stable as you add the content below div#header.  Note that there is no positioning used.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 9:28 AM   in reply to jasongreenberg

There really should be no need to carry everything from the header over from one page to another just to make the display consistent. If correctly laid out, the design will not shift when you navigate from one page to another..... if it does, there is most likely some margin or padding that is just a little different from one page to another. Of course if you are using AP divs, that could also affect the final display.

As for the mp3 player..... noticed you are using a Flash mp3 player.

You could use "Flash cookies", local shared objects, to keep the music playing as the visitor navigates from one page to another.

From an older post:

Local shared object

http://kirupa.com/developer/actionscript/shared_objects.htm

This tutorial will teach you how to use the Shared Object in Actionscript 2.0. The Shared Object is like a cookie, but it does not require a browser or server-side scripts to use. It is for Flash only and can be loaded instantaneously from the users machine. It is the most efficient way to save information about your users so that they can use it at a later date.

Google "Flash local shared objects" for more info.

If you don't do Flash, pehaps you could get a friend or Flash developer to add that to the mp3 player.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 10:01 AM   in reply to jasongreenberg

I'm not good with code, I mostly only work in the design mode so I'm not sure what to do with this...

This will have to change if you don't want to bloody your forehead every day banging it on the desk.

is this a div?

It's a layout that contains elements (divs, images, forms, tables, etc., along with CSS).

How do I get this into Dreamweaver?

View source in your browser.  Copy all.  In DW create a new blank HTML page, click in code view, select all and then paste.  You now have it in DW.  Examine the code and the CSS.  See if you can figure out what to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 2:51 PM   in reply to jasongreenberg

Good luck.  I'm sure you will have questions.

If you can, take note of how I have cleaned up the code....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points