Skip navigation
Sebastian Konczak 26 posts
Sep 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Issue with creating footnotes outside 3-column text frame

Sep 23, 2011 12:14 PM

Tags: #indesign #footnote

I have a page with 3 columns with filled text frame in each column. Now i want to add footnote at some point in  one column, but i want the footnote's text to appear not at the bottom of this column, but in external bottom text frame, so that footnote text flows through entire page width (not  column width). Can we do such thing in indesign? delegating footnote text to other frame than footnote number's frame?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 23, 2011 12:56 PM   in reply to Sebastian Konczak

You'll have to create your footnotes manually, not using the InDesign Insert Footnote feature.

This is one of many limitations in the current implementation of footnotes in InDesign—a half finished feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2011 10:09 AM   in reply to Sebastian Konczak

Sebastian Konczak wrote:

I have a page with 3 columns with filled text frame in each column. Now i want to add footnote at some point in  one column, but i want the footnote's text to appear not at the bottom of this column, but in external bottom text frame, so that footnote text flows through entire page width (not  column width). Can we do such thing in indesign? delegating footnote text to other frame than footnote number's frame?

Hi, Sebastian:

As Steve noted, InDesign's footnotes are an incomplete feature. You can add your own request to the many others asking for improvement here: wish

Depending on your needs, this might work for you:

* Create a new paragraph style with a new numbered list. Create the footnotes in the manually-created page-width text frame at the bottom of the page, using the numbered-list paragraph style. Insert cross-references in main text that point to the faked-footnote paragraphs; define the cross-reference format to capture only the paragraph number. Create a character style, with superscript and other desired properties, for this fake footnote reference number, and apply it to the selected number.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign cross-reference tutorial," "InDesign cross-reference format tutorial," and similar phrases without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2011 2:24 PM   in reply to Sebastian Konczak

Peter Kahrel makes available a bunch of scripts for dealing with footnotes and endnotes in InDesign, including some for IDCS3 and later that might help you achieve what you want -- not that I have tried them.

Good luck,

David

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points