Skip navigation
davegibson2@gmail.com
Currently Being Moderated

artifacts in printing eps

Sep 24, 2011 8:57 AM

I have designed 18 "tee-signs" for our disc golf course. They print fine from Illustrator to various color printers. Now, we are getting them printed on a sticker which we will affix to a metal plate and post near the tees. The printer we are working with requested eps, so I saved a few in illustrator eps format and had him print them to test. They look great except for a few artifacts. For instance, for hole 8, around the "8" in upper left there is a very light shaded rectangle. This doesn't correspond to any shape that is buried in there. It doesn't make sense to me. I could take a picture of that and post if it would help. What it *should* look like is http://mypages.valdosta.edu/dgibson/pbin/dgolf/tsigns/08.jpg (note, this does NOT show the artifact). So, I printed the eps files myself, and I don't get those artifacts, but I do get a few random lines, and also the corners of the stroked fonts look like they are "selected", i.e. tiny circle. Does anyone have any advice?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 26, 2011 10:59 AM   in reply to davegibson2@gmail.com

Your post pertains to the production printing of graphic arts files.  This forum is for the volume production printing of customized documents with LiveCycle/ADEP Production Print.  I'd suggest that you post your question again on another forum, such as Adobe Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 29, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to davegibson2@gmail.com

EPS is a flat file format. This means anything with uses blending modes, some appearance settings, or transparency within Illustrator will be flattened upon saving to EPS.

Without seeing the actual final result, I would guess that flattening occured when you saved the file resulting in the "artifacts" you are seeing. It's always a good idea to utilize the Flattener Preview Panel within Illustrator before saving as an eps or conversely, close the file after saving to eps and then reopen it to see what has taken place regarding flattening.

Files often require special care when saving to EPS to ensure appearance is as desired.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points