• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dropped characters using text tool.

Participant ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Occasionally, when I type a string using the text line tool, Frame will drop a chacter when the screen is refreshed. Most of the time it is the first character, such as it will change "Callout" to "allout"; less often it is somewhere else. If the string is only one character, the grab handles are there where the character should be. If it's a longer string and the first character is dropped, the left-end grab handles are adjacent to the first visible character, giving the appearance there never was that first character. I forgot what happens if it drops a character in the middle.

If the text string is a single character, it disappears but its grab handles are there.

It happens sometimes on a Control+l refresh, or sometimes when I move the string's position with the mouse.

I'm using Windows XP and Win 7 in Parallels, everything with latest patches. The font is Myriad Pro Semicondensed (Adobe's OTF).  I tried different fonts but it happens so rarely that I can't really tell if the font was the fix or if it simply didn't show up. Problem is that the font specs are called out by the customer.

Anyone see this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

Which FM version is this happening in? With 9 & 10, there's been a lot of funky things going on with keyboard entries due to the new GUI. It may also be an interaction in your Parallels environment (just guessing on that part - no Mac slights intended...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 10 ... whoops, forgot that. But the text is there, up until I move the object or refresh the screen, so I don't think it's the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you do a Select All on the page? Are there any extraneous handles? Anything odd in the MIF for a truncated text line object?

It really does sound weird. I haven't seen this (yet?) in FM10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All objects, even single-charater text objects, have handles.  In the MIF the characters are actually missing. In a string of what should be more than one character, one is missing, as in "ne is missing".  In a string of what should be one character, there is no string, not even an empty one (two adjacent single quotes); only the identifier, position values, and alignment are there.  But also, there are varying amounts of data in the MIF for objects. One single-character object that shows up okay has a lengthy definition; others that are missing might have a font FTAG spec, some don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been using FM for a few years now. Now using FM10. All of the sudden I am having this problem. Seems to be when I zoom in and then back out. All the "first:" letters of my callouts are missing!! Dang!! Why would it just start happening now?

Thanks,

ls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your monitor and video driver are set up to match the real hardware. For example, if your monitor is a Samsung 350 Series, you should have the driver for that monitor, not just a generic SGVA or similar driver. Same for the video hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would the monitor have anything to do with FM deleting characters? It isn't a graphic viewing problem. The first letters of the call outs are actually gone. Did you find out why your letters were missing?

Thanks,

ls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would the monitor have anything to do with FM deleting characters? It isn't a graphic viewing problem.

I'm just saying that Frame is sensitive to this, and an improperly set up monitor or graphics can have wierd affects on Frame's behavior. Why? I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was also discussed in thread:
Delete characters on save

where an Adobe staffer said:
"The mentioned issue has been fixed in FrameMaker 11."

The workaround for unfixed FMs is to use a Text Frame, and not Graphics Text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error7103,

I didn't see your reply before.

Thanks,....just think it is weird that it hasn't happened all this time and now it does...lol...oh well..

I used to use text frames, but the text strings are just easier for call outs. Guess I will just make sure to watch for it. I really think it has something to do with zooming in with the + at the bottom.

Thanks again for the answer.

ls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> .just think it is weird that it hasn't happened all this time and now it does...lol...oh well..

If you didn't change FM versions or apply a patch, I agree. Weird.

> I used to use text frames, but the text strings are just easier for call outs.

TFs are worth the small amount of extra work. Graphics Text is severely limiting, entirely apart from bugs.

TFs get you global Paragraph Formats, Character Formats, Variables, Xrefs, search, etc.

We do callouts as Xrefs - massively easier to maintain on the shifting sands of part changes and any need to add more c/os to the same figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines