Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Measurement Labels disappeared

Sep 28, 2011 10:00 AM

I'm having this issue where the Measurement Labels have disappeared for no apparent reason.  The option is still checked in the preferences.  This happens both on my home comp and office comp.  Both using CS5.   There's a way to get it back but you have to delete the preferences file and reset all your preferences.  Is this the only fix?   It's time Adobe fixes this bug.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 28, 2011 10:14 AM   in reply to headrowwilson

Probably you just turned off Smart Guides in the View menu?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2011 10:25 AM   in reply to headrowwilson

Please exactly explain what you mean by measurement labels?

Also, which version of Illustrator are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2011 10:44 AM   in reply to headrowwilson

I know them, but didn't know the correct english term.

Never happened to me, so I cannot help.

One thing: Have you perhaps enabled Align to Grid in the View menu? That temporarily disables Smart guides and therefore the labels.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2011 11:25 AM   in reply to headrowwilson

You are asking for advice in a hostile tone like that? You are not providing substantial steps in order to reproduce the behaviour. You are just claiming "it's just another bug"?

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2011 4:05 PM   in reply to headrowwilson

Suggest you write Adobe and post the bug so they can fix it.  This is a user forum and Adobe may not see your issue here....they have a place to post bugs and suggestions....it recently changed so I don't have the lnk handy.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2011 9:08 AM   in reply to headrowwilson

You might try making a duplicate of a correct version of your preferences file and then just replace it when necessary instead of resetting it and loosing all your presets.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to headrowwilson

According to Adobe's notes:

When Snap To Grid or Pixel Preview is turned on, you cannot use Smart Guides (even if the menu command is selected).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to Miss--Fit

Miss--Fit wrote:

According to Adobe's notes:

When Snap To Grid or Pixel Preview is turned on, you cannot use Smart Guides (even if the menu command is selected).

You mean when Snap To Grid is on, which becomes Snap To Pixel when the Pixel Preview is turned on, if you have Snap To Pixel turned off in Pixel Preview then Smart Guides will still work. Smart Guides will not work in Pixel Preview only if Snap To Pixel is turned on or Smart Guides are off.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to headrowwilson

I agree with you that Adobe needs to fix this bug.

I just installed Illustrator CS6 and fired it up for the first time. Even though the Measurement Labels are turned on in the Preferences dialog box (and neither Snap to Grid nor Pixel Preview are turned on), they don't show up. So now we're a version further along than the one you're complaining about, and it still is not fixed. I hope you DID post it in whatever place one reports bugs (anyone know where that is?).

Also, I couldn't fix it by just deleting the Preferences file. Unless I'm deleting an older preference file from an earlier version, in which case, I'm not quite sure where on my Mac I'd find the current prefs file for Illustrator.

The Measurements Labels currently just do not work right.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to Doug.S

I just found the link and reported this bug. For future reference, here is the link:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to headrowwilson

Don't know if you're still having this problem, but it seems to have been addressed in an update. At least, downloading and installing the latest update seems to have solved the problem for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to pixelboss

Only one week after I posted the above, and again, my measurement labels are not working. I seem to remember reading in another thread that the problem has something to do with the graphics processor. In any case, nothing has changed since I installed the update and they were working fine then.

I am using Mac OS 10.7.5.

Please don't tell me to delete the Preferences file. On this version of the Mac OS, the Preference files are not accessible to the user anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to pixelboss

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

Yay! Thank you!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This